Watermelon and I had a good visit with Dr. Kyzer yesterday. We talked through the C-section surgery a little more and she made me feel more calm about it. The surgery should only take 45 minutes or an hour, and Watermelon will be born within the first 5-10 minutes of it. The incision is going to be much smaller than I had originally thought it would be. It's a low risk surgery, and she reviewed some data that put things into perspective for me as far as likelihood of complications. All in all, I'm feeling very good about it.
Dr. Kyzer did say Watermelon is making progress in preparation for delivery in terms of dilation and effacement, so there's certainly a chance she could come before June 14th, though there's every chance she might not. Nothing is certain in birthing babies.
I had a bit of a freak out today. I got terrible sleep Monday night between being generally uncomfortable, preoccupied with returning to work after the long weekend, thinking about all the things to be done still, etc. Just could not turn my brain off. And then I was finding it hard to breathe since one of the delightful pregnancy symptoms is excess mucus production, including nasal mucus (have I grossed you out yet?). So, I got maybe 4 hours of sleep Monday night. Last night, I figured I'd kill two birds with one Benadryl, thinking it would simultaneously knock me out and help with my ability to breathe. This was a recommendation of Dr. Kyzer's a while ago when I first started finding it hard to sleep, and she had told me then that Benadryl is a class B drug, which means that there's no evidence that the drug does any harm to the fetus, but there are also no studies showing that it does not harm the fetus either. But, generally, class B drugs are considered safe in pregnancy.
So, this morning, having slept through the entire night without having to get up once(!), and still being a bit groggy from the Benadryl, it occurred to me that I hadn't felt Watermelon move all night. This didn't alarm me because I was pretty zonked while sleeping for a change. But then, after breakfast, Watermelon still wasn't moving much on my way to work, and that's usually when she starts kicking for the day. Then, during the morning at work, I didn't really notice her moving either, and that's when I thought to myself, "Oh no! Have I drugged my baby?" Fortunately after lunch, she got rowdy for a bit so I was reassured. I know that when you get to full term status babies have less room to move and therefore move less, but it was the first time I'd noticed her having a quiet day lately. So, even though I'm sure it's coincidental, I may lay off the Benadryl tonight. Peace of mind about Watermelon's well-being is probably worth the lack of sleep.

No comments:
Post a Comment