When my Mom told me that my older brother pushed against her ribs so hard in the last month of her pregnancy that she was sore for months after his birth, I found it so hard to fathom. At the time that she told me this, I was maybe 15 or 16 weeks, dealing with a mere Avocado, and couldn't imagine a fetus being big enough to do gymnastics in a mom's ribs. But now that we have a Honeydew, I totally understand! Honeydew just LOVES to hang out on my right side, in my ribs. As you'll recall if you read about her Pineapple days, I was feeling her this high up just two weeks ago and it felt like tickling. Now, it's painfully obvious that she is outgrowing her fruit stand, and rather than tickling it feels like she is pushing. I told her today, "Honeydew, don't!" So, Mom, I feel ya! I'll always maintain that I was the good child (note that it was my brother who tortured my mother so, not me.)
But, Honeydew is doing great. We got a good report with Dr. Kyzer on Tuesday. Measuring perfectly, my BP is still low, no worries about weight gain. So this little melon is right on track. Honeydew is probably around 5 lbs and around 18 inches long already! If she were born now, she'd be considered pre-term rather than premature, with the difference being that Honeydew is now likely to have well-developed lungs and less likely to need intensive care. She's drawing calcium from me to develop bone, which might explain why I've craved and gone through a gallon of milk every 5 days.
Honeydew must take after her Daddy quite a bit because her favorite time of day is from about 8pm-3am. In fact, she and her Daddy often seem to fall asleep at about the same time. When I'm relaxing on the couch in the evening, she starts squirming and rolling, and she keeps this up while I read in bed to fall asleep, and sometimes wakes me up from her acrobatics around midnight. Then when Seth comes to bed (around 2 in the morning these days since he's paper-writing), I can still feel her movin' and groovin' in there, but the she seems to finally settle down just in time for my alarm to go off. We have a night owl on our hands! In fact, she's thumping me in all directions right now at 10pm.
So, I have an announcement for those who don't know yet, but I want to stress how much I would appreciate it if this could remain private as much as possible (i.e., I don't want to see anyone posting about this on Facebook, and I don't want this spreading by word of mouth). So, please keep it under wraps. The announcement: Honeydew will most likely make her appearance on June 14th by way of C-section (unless she decides to try and come earlier). Having talked over birthing options with Dr. Kyzer, we concluded that a planned C-section was the best outcome, and so we set the date. I really wanted to schedule it for June 12th so I could become a mommy in my twenties (I will turn 30 on June 13), but I would only be 38 weeks and 6 days and they won't do a section any earlier than 39 weeks exactly. So I asked for June 13th so we could share a birthday, but Dr. Kyzer told me she refused to make me give up my own birthday (though really I think it's because Dr. K is off on Wednesdays). So, unless Honeydew has plans to come earlier, she and I will be 30 years and 1 day apart (born in the same hospital, no less!). That's a mere 6 weeks from today. And I have to say, I'm so ready to hold this precious baby.

No comments:
Post a Comment