A new symptom from Squash has appeared this evening: dizziness. I've
felt very occasional and brief bouts of dizziness previously, but
nothing like I've felt this evening. This is downright vertigo, where I have to hold on to things to get up and am a little scared of going down the stairs. (Don't worry, I've had Seth go in front of me so that if I fall I'll land on him. What a sacrificing man I married.)
Admittedly, I've done more in
terms of housework today than I've done in a long time: I cleaned the
bathroom, cooked the meals, washed the dishes, bought and put away the
groceries all by myself since Seth is trying to crank out the last of
his papers for this semester. So maybe I've just over-exerted myself.
Also, it's very, very warm in our house (to me) at 75 degrees.
But according to my books, dizziness during pregnancy is not
uncommon and is caused by (in addition to over-exertion and
over-heating) the relaxing and widening of my blood vessels. The blood
vessels do this so that more blood gets to Squash, but the return of the
blood to my veins is slower. Thus, the dizziness. Also I'm
not supposed to be lying on my back at all, which I have to admit, I do
when I sleep. I can't help it! I'm asleep!
So, what strikes me as particularly hilarious is that the books
suggest as a cure for this dizziness putting your head between your
legs. Um... first of all, I don't know that I could have successfully
done that prior to having something the size of squash in my belly, let
alone now! I mean, really. Maybe there are pregnant women out there
who can manage this feat, but I'm sure not one of them. So I'm going to
take their other suggestion which is to lie on my left side so more
blood flows to my heart. But I just had to share the ridiculousness of
their initial "cure".
No comments:
Post a Comment