Papaya has become much more active in the last week, and it's definitely driving home the "we're having a baby" idea for this Mama-ya. (Get it? Papaya/Mamaya? I'm so punny!) Sunday night, Seth and I went out with some friends to have Indian food (I know my Dad just cringed at that thought), and I could tell she was getting a little rowdy during the meal. When I stood up, I think she did about three somersaults in a row - it made me catch my breath and I just had to stand still for a minute and let her get settled.
Then, on the drive home, Papaya was squirming so much, I told Seth he should see if he could feel her. So he put his hand on my tummy and nothing happened for a bit and then he said, "Yep, that's a baby." Have I mentioned that my husband is one of the most excitable people I know? I mean, you can clearly see how he just can't contain himself and his emotions just bubble over at every opportunity. Actually, his face did light up a bit and he got a little twinkle in his eye, so even if he didn't express it in words, I know was thrilled. (By the way, I'm calling it now: on the day our dear daughter arrives and they pass her to him, I have $5 on his response being, "Why, hello there, small child." Trust me.)
Since Sunday, I've definitely felt Papaya moving every day. Sometimes she just lightly kicks me, sometimes it feels like she's rolling around, sometimes it feels like she's having a dance party, and every time it's heaven. There are women out there who feel these stronger sensations much earlier, which must be nice, but because of the way she is in there, with the placenta acting as a cushion between her and my skin (this is called an anterior placenta; you've had your Bio lesson for the day), my OB had told me I wouldn't start feeling her more until about now. And I'm glad that this time has arrived, because it's pretty darn cool.
So, neat stuff going on for Papaya this week: she's developing taste buds and practicing swallowing. Therefore, this is also about the time that fetuses (feti?) start getting the hiccups. Actually, at our last ultrasound, it looked like she did have the hiccups after she missed when trying to suck her thumb. It was pretty cute. And of course, she's getting fatter. And so am I! Someone at work today told me I'd finally popped out. I guess because I've recently been significantly heaver than I am now, I just feel like I look fat (and what pregnant woman doesn't?). But, it's true, there's a large portion of my gut that's all baby. I've only gained about 5 lbs so far, which is half of the "norm", and considering that Papaya probably weighs more than a pound now and there's got to be at least 4 more pounds of "extra" between all the fluids my body is building up for her survival, I'm pretty sure the extra weight is all baby-related. Since I know Annalisa will ask, I promise to take a picture once I feel like I have a really identifiable baby-bump. Trust me, it's a-comin'!

No comments:
Post a Comment