Monday, February 27, 2012

Do I Like Being Pregnant?

My sister-in-law, who has produced my beautiful niece and handsome nephew, called me yesterday for a chat and one of the things she asked me is whether or not I like being pregnant.  She didn't have as pleasant an experience, had a lot more nausea and such as I recall, so the question is completely legit.  I had never really stopped to think about it - because I'm just thrilled that we're going to be parents in about 3 and a half months.

But, my answer is a resounding yes.  Yes, I do like being pregnant, and I think I'm doing quite well at it.  It has its small discomforts, more so in the first trimester as far as I've experienced, but on the whole, I would guess mine has been one of the most uneventful, mild pregnancies out there.  Everything has looked perfect every time we've gone to the doctor.  I've only thrown up a handful of times and was able to stave off my queasiness with ginger ale most of the first trimester.  My headaches have gone since about week 15.  I'm still able to get to sleep just fine, and thanks to an extra pillow I don't try to roll onto my tummy, which is my usual sleeping position.  My hip bothers me some because I sit all day at work at a computer, but it's nothing I can't walk off or stretch out.  I've had a few food aversions, but nothing terrible, and no crazy cravings either.  I don't mind that I can't eat deli meats or sushi or rare steak or other things that I've given up for the time being.  I've only put on about 6 pounds, my blood work looks great, my blood pressure is good... I mean, what's there to complain about?

I feel bad for people who have rough pregnancies.  I'm hoping mine continues to go as smoothly for the rest of the time and that delivery is uncomplicated as well.  I'm glad Aimee asked me that question because I hadn't really taken time to think about how much I really am enjoying this whole experience.  I am looking forward to having Pomegranate in my arms, but it's nice to be reminded to stop and appreciate the experience along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment