I've intended that this blog be the place I can post things that I don't want shared with the world-at-large (read: Facebook), so once again I'm requesting respect of privacy from you, dear readers, regarding the information I'm about to share.
Last week at the OB appointment (I didn't mention this because it's a little gross and I was hoping it wouldn't be an issue), I had protein in my urine which can be a symptom of preeclampsia. However, I had normal BP, no swelling, Watermelon moving good and all that, so Dr. Kyzer had said to call if I got headaches that didn't go away with Tylenol. Since that visit, I have had headaches, but they've consistently gone away with Tylenol and I haven't had any swelling or other symptoms. Today, my BP was on the high side, though I had no protein, but given last week's results, Dr. Kyzer sent me for bloodwork and an ultrasound. She said if the bloodwork came back with abnormal results we might have to deliver today. I won't try to pretend that the news didn't send me reeling, even though I knew going in I might hear that kind of news. I did get just a smidgen teary-eyed thinking Watermelon might be coming today, under what I'd consider to be less than ideal circumstances. But, then I reminded myself of my favorite saying of Gram's (Seth's grandmother), "There's no point in borrowing trouble from tomorrow." Why worry about it before getting the results? So, I decided to just chill out during my 1 hour wait for lab results and my turn with the ultrasound tech.
The ultrasound was great! I haven't seen our Watermelon since the anatomy scan at 20 weeks and it was incredible to see how much her bones had ossified and how big she is now compared to then. They estimated her to be 7 lbs, and she is head down and was facing my right hip so I got to see her face and her chubby little cheeks! I can't wait to see them in person!
Anyway, she scored an 8 out of 8 on her biophysical profile which is a test that measures baby's movement, muscle tone, breathing, heart rate, amniotic fluid and other things. And all my labs came back completely normal too. So, I do not have preeclampsia.
However, Dr. Kyzer doesn't want to take any chances that it could develop into preeclampsia, and suggested we deliver her tomorrow or Wednesday. I voted for Wednesday because I was already supposed to start maternity leave on Wednesday and I figured I'd take tomorrow off so we can get a few more things done and I can get some rest. Also, we'll have birthdays 1 week apart instead of 1 day apart now, and I think it's cool that we got married on 7/7 and she'll be born on 6/6.
So, at 7:30am on Wednesday, June 6th, we'll be welcoming Watermelon (or, I guess by then she'll be Pumpkin - and then she'll get a name!) to the world.
The only big things we have left to do are to pack a bag and install the car seat. We'd planned on getting a lot more done around the house next week, but none of that is vital. The kitchen table is covered in things, the nursery still has piles of clothes ready to be washed, etc, but it'll be here when we get back.
Right now, I feel very good about everything. I'm not nervous or stressed, just excited. Hopefully I'll stay that way through tomorrow and it would be great if I could even get a good night's sleep tonight and tomorrow. But, however tomorrow shapes up, it's amazing to think that in 37 hours from right this minute, I'll be holding our little girl.
My heart is doing cartwheels! 35 hours until Gummy Bear, + you're a mama in her 20s! I'm going to Torrent the movie Alien just for that dinner scene.
ReplyDeletePS: If your baby is born + it is an alien, I will not love it.