I knew that becoming a mother would leave me a complete emotional wreck. I just had no idea that the emotions would be linked to more than just my feelings towards my baby. The unexpected part of motherhood for me so far hasn't been the late night feedings, the diaper changes, the recovery from the c-section. It's been the incredible new respect, admiration, and love I have now for my Mom.
Not that prior to becoming a mother I didn't respect, admire, or love my Mom. In fact, my relationship with my mother has always been better than most mother/daughter relationships and I've been lucky that, particularly since reaching adulthood, my Mom is not just Mom; she's my closest friend. But I think since Wednesday I have developed a much stronger bond with Mom than I ever thought possible or knew could exist. In the last few days, Mom has been my nurse, my maid, my personal shopper, my lactation consultant, my dogsitter, my psychologist, and just about anything other role I needed her to play. She has made meals for us to have through the week, finished organizing and setting up the nursery, cleaned, done laundry and anything else that needed doing around the house. In the hospital, she helped me in and out of bed, brought me anything I needed, helped me decipher all the different advice I was getting from 5 different nurses and 4 different lactation consultants, held Evie when she needed comforting,... you name it, my Mom did it. As my cousin Olivia said at the age of 6 regarding her Aunt Patsy, she is magic.
My first few days of motherhood falling so close to my own birthday and beginning in the same hospital have made me think about how Mom took care of me 30 years ago the same way I'm taking care of Evie. Mom had the same love in her heart for her new little girl that I have for Evie, and that's a love that I couldn't have possibly understood to its fullest extent until having Evie. I knew Mom loved me very, very much. But I'm amazed by how much she's loved me in a way that I haven't been able to comprehend until now. I wish all girls could be so lucky to have Moms like mine. I've thanked God every day that He gave me the parents I have, and now I see that I have still completely underestimated His gift to me.
Love you, Mom! Thank you!
You overwhelm me with these comments. I know I have not been perfect, but I am glad that you know how much I love you. I am also very blessed to have you for a daughter, and now the mother of our beautiful granddaughter Evie. She is fortunate to have you, such a patient, loving, and determined mother! Happy birthday, and wish I could be there.
ReplyDelete