I think I've mentioned previously that I've been so busy looking forward to what Evie will do next or enjoying so much what she's doing now that I've yet to feel that I want time to stop. I'm enjoying watching her grow and discover new things, and, to be honest, the newborn/infant phase has never been all that appealing to me. But now, as she is starting to recognize me and other people, as she is using her hands and fingers to touch people's mouths and noses, as she's obviously making all of these new connections with how her body is in her own control, I'm realizing even more how quickly it's all happening and how precious this time is. As I was holding her in my arms this evening, she fell asleep, and I just stared at her sweet little face, her tiny ear, her hands grasping my shirt, her downy soft hair, and I thought to myself, "I never want to forget this moment."
I want her to grow and be independent and have her own life, of course. But I know that the days where she'll need this particular kind of care from me, the rocking, singing, soothing, nursing... these days are few, and before I know it, she'll be that independent person with her own life. I sat and cried, looking at my sweet angel, my darling Evie, and soaked her in.
It's my Memmaw's 85th birthday today, and I think about the fact that she once sat and rocked her own children, and then grandchildren, and now great-grandchildren, and it just seems like I might blink and be 85 myself, God willing, and rocking future generations. How precious are these numbered days we're given.
No comments:
Post a Comment