I'm sure many families are getting tired of not seeing each other because of the pandemic, and my family felt that way. We hadn't seen my brother and family since Grandma Jeanne's funeral in January, and since both Ryan and Aimee are doctors with known exposure to COVID-19 pretty much every shift they work, we weren't sure how long it would be before wee would see them again. Fortunately, Ryan and Aimee found a way to make it work. They drove in and rented a house with a large porch and big backyard for the weekend, so we spent most of last Saturday and Sunday sitting on a beautiful porch in a historic house district, chatting and enjoying some sunshowers. Granna and Grannadaddy's 47th wedding anniversary was Sunday, so we celebrated with cake and the 3 grandchildren made them cards. The kids wore their masks the whole time because we knew it would be too hard to tell them to keep 6 feet apart, and while we may not have been safe 100% of the time, my opinion is that there are certain things that we need for our humanity, and visits with family is one of them. The kids did their very best to be safe, but they're kids - and they need interaction with each other, especially our only child Evie.

Another bright spot for my week was the announcement that all students in Evie's school district will be learning virtually this fall. I know this somewhat contradicts my above statement that kids need other kids, but I also feel that there's a big difference between being with family and being with the masses at school. I also know firsthand how difficult it is to get students to follow directions in the best of times, and I was nervous for myself about having to provide speech therapy in person to students with intellectual disabilities. I myself have been spit on and scratched by my students in the past and I wasn't sure how we would handle the new restrictions safely for these students. I am relieved that we will all be meeting virtually.


No comments:
Post a Comment