Saturday, July 25, 2020

Voting, Putting, and Playing

This week ushered in a new era for us, where we are all home, all the time.  I have been working from home at a corporate job since 2014; Evie has been home from school since March and unable to attend any in-person camps; and as of this week, Seth is working from home at a new job.  We have rearranged the office to accommodate his two monitors, CPU, and phone system, and now he spends from 8-4:30 in the office with breaks.  It's working well so far.  We'll see how it goes once he starts taking calls.

On Sunday, I showed Evie Grannadaddy's sermon in which he mentioned Evie's interest in Harry Potter and the sorting of young wizards and witches into houses; he compared this to the parable of the wheat and the tares.  Since we have not had church in person, we record the service on Saturdays and upload it for viewing on Sunday morning, and since I was at the recording, I knew Evie would appear in the sermon.  So I had her watch it and her face lit up when Grannadaddy mentioned his 8 year old granddaughter and the different Hogwarts houses.  She had already learned about the wheat and tares parable from our online Sunday School class and understood the comparison.  When Granna and Grannadaddy came over for lunch on our deck, as has become our Sunday custom, Evie told Grannadaddy she liked his sermon and thought his comparison was, and I quote, "very clever."

This week, we have found a camp that we felt comfortable sending Evie to.  Her ballet and theatre company recently moved to a church building that was having financial struggles, so they were looking for someone to help share the space.  The sanctuary has now been converted to a ballet studio, so they have 3,000 square feet of high-ceilinged dance floor and doors and windows for cross-breezes.  They had a musical theatre camp this week, and all children were required to wear masks and stay 10 feet apart, so I felt like it was as safe as a person can get in these times, and I know she misses and needs other childrens' company.  So Evie appeared in "The Little Mermaid" this week.  She was hoping for a role as either Flounder or Sebastian and I am glad to say she got Flounder. 

Here's a video of the whole show, if you're interested.



On Thursday, we stopped by an early voting place to get our TN primary votes in.  I was impressed with their set up, which was very spread out.  Everyone had masks and they gave you something like a wooden coffee stirrer to use on the voting machines.

Yesterday, we ventured to Putt Putt to do some golfing.  Most people were at the other outdoor amusements like the bumper cars/boars and go-karts, so we had the golf course practically to ourselves.  We did a course and a half and then Evie had had enough and was ready for dinner and ice cream at Sonic.  It's been a different kind of summer, but I'm glad we're finding ways to make it somewhat normal.





No comments:

Post a Comment