Friday, November 1, 2019

Grampa

Dear Evie,

Your grandfather, Daddy's daddy, died last night.  He had lived a very long time with a very unfair illness.  I think it's hard to imagine how different his life and your own Daddy's life would have been if he hadn't had M.S.  I know that he had to make very hard decisions about how to handle work and family after being diagnosed.  He was told that he would only live a few years, but he lived 38 years after his initial diagnosis. 

He spent the last several years in a nursing home.  You never knew him outside of that living situation, and in fact, neither did I.  But we did manage to take him out with use in a rental van when we visited a few times, and even when we couldn't take him out anymore, it was incredible how much light you would bring to him and to the other residents.  Grampa liked to look at your face and answer your questions about the fish in the tank or other things you saw together at the home.

Even though he couldn't express it, it was clear that you brought him a lot of joy and pride.  I hope you'll always remember that you bring joy just by being you.

Love,
Mama








No comments:

Post a Comment