Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Thanksgiving, Theatre, and Dreams

We had a good Thanksgiving.  Evie and Seth watched some Thanksgiving cartoons while I went to an Episcopal church with my Dad as has been our custom since we moved back.  Seth and Evie headed to our church for a noon meal where we ate with church members and my dad's side of the family. 


Evie posed for me at church

Then we came home for a bit and watched the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.  Seth got a nap in the bedroom and Evie fell asleep practically standing up.  There's something about Thanksgiving and an afternoon nap that are almost required.


Then we went to my parents' house for dinner with Mom's side of the family, although it was much smaller than usual.  Evie was the only person there under age 18 which never happens on that side of the family!  Of my 12 cousins on that side, all but 3 of them are now over 18, and those 3 were in Georgia because the oldest, Zach, was in a football playoff game the day after Thanksgiving, so they couldn't come.  The other great-grandchildren (Evie's generation) were all in Florida (Addie and Will who live there, of course, and my cousin Daniel and his family go there for Thanks-cation every year), so Evie was the only kid.  However, since she's an only child, that didn't seem to bother her and she jumped in to help Aunt Ginger in our game of Acquire.


On Friday, we stopped by the donut shop on our way to the Tigers' last home game.  Evie said, "We're celebrating!"  I said, "Celebrating what?"  She said, "Donuts!"  Fair enough...


Saturday, we went to see Junie B. Jones is Not a Crook, and Evie enjoyed it.  Since we are subscribers, the theatre leaves little cards on our seats with a little something (candy, toy, whatever) and this one had a tiny magnifying glass that said someone had stolen our tickets, so we played around with that for a bit and Evie wanted to take a picture of us trying to solve the mystery.


Sunday, Evie got me.  We were singing "Amazing Grace" in the pre-service prayer and praise time, and she snuggled up to me and buried her face into me.  I said, "What's wrong?"  She said, "This song makes me want to cry."  I understand, because it makes me want to cry too, because I inevitably think of all the funerals I've gone to where that song is sung.  I said, "Why, baby?"  She said, "It makes me think of ChuuChu" (our dog who died a few years ago).  So I guess it makes Evie think of individuals who have passed on as well.

Sunday, she also asked my dad to show her the water in the baptismal font.  I remember asking my dad that same thing when I was a kid.


Then it was time to hang the greens at church, so Evie and I stayed to help.  She got to help decorate the Christmon tree.


Evie got me this weekend also when she cried out for me in the middle of the night, which she doesn't do much anymore.  I went in and she said, "I had a nightmare, Mama!"  I said, "I'm so sorry, baby".  She said, "In my dream, you died!"  Her eyes were wet and we just sat there with me holding her and telling her how sorry I was that she had such an upsetting dream.  After a few minutes she said, "I'm glad I have you."  So then I cried.

I forgot to mention last week that Herbie turned 10 years old.  He may be blind and have diabetes, but he still enjoys a cuddle.


I have to share a joke Evie made.  I have a dinosaur puppet that I use in speech therapy sometimes, but Evie likes to play with it in the car.  She said, "You know what this dinosaur's favorite song is?"  The answer was, "Roar!" which is a song by Katy Perry.

No comments:

Post a Comment