Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Civil Rights

Evie got a book for Christmas called She Persisted.  It's a collection of short paragraphs about notable women in history, like Sally Ride, Oprah Winfrey, and others who were "firsts" or did something particularly inspiring.  When we were reading it, Evie was confused as to why there seemed to be so many stories where people of color weren't allowed to do something (go to school, sit on the bus).  I was explaining to her that people of color used to be denied entry to places or use of things just because of the color of their skin, and that this was true on buses in Memphis.  I explained that people of color were expected to get up from their seats to give them to white people if there weren't any more seats on the bus.  Evie said, "If I got on the bus and a brown person got up, I would say, no, no, brown people, I just want to sit next to you."  I'm so glad her heart is right.

I got to play on the playground with Evie yesterday.  She wanted to be pushed on the swing, and it brought back memories of when she was little and had to sit in the bucket swings at Charlie Daniels Park in Mount Juliet.  Time flies...

March 1, 2014

Evie acknowledges that she has the weirdest parents.  We were snuggling her in bed together and made poses for the camera, whereas Evie seems to be just tolerating it.

No comments:

Post a Comment