Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Evie's 46th Week

Evie now has all 8 teeth in or budding through the gums.  The last two bottom teeth are working their way up slowly, with the 8th one breaking through just yesterday.  She seems to not really notice this 8th one yet.  What she is doing is grinding her teeth together and, oh my gosh, it makes my skin crawl.  It's like that sound the hygienist makes with the metal scraper instrument, only it's tooth on tooth and loud and terrible!  Sometimes she grinds them so much I wonder how she has any teeth left.  But I'm assured this is a normal thing. 

I've been trying to take up some new hobbies lately and I thought I'd try my hand at making a tutu for Evie.  I think it turned out pretty well, even if it's a bit too fluffy.  Here she is, modeling my handiwork.


She's also taken well to holding her bottle on her own, even when she's tired.  Here she is, falling asleep while having her lunch bottle.



She's working on new sounds and seems to be taking a new interest in language.  Last night, she purposefully looked at Seth and then babbled at him, almost like she wanted his attention before she told him something important.  She also had a moment last night before bed when I was talking to her here she seemed very interested in trying to repeat what I was doing.  She's starting to try to make the motorboat noise, and is very close to saying PaPa, though it comes out somewhere between p and b right now.  I guess technically its [p], and not [ph], that she is saying.  Sorry... been studying linguistics lately.

I had one of those Mommy moments on Sunday.  She and I were sitting in the living room on the rug, and she had her back to me, getting into her toybox.  I just took notice of her cute little frame, the curling toes, the feathery hair, and I thought to myself, "This is exactly what I envisioned going on in this house when we bought it."  We bought in July 2011.  We'd already been trying to start a family for a long time by then.  We bought this 3 bedroom house thinking we'd use one of the bedrooms for us, one for a guest room, and one for...  well, I wasn't really convinced we'd ever get to the point where we'd need a nursery/kid's room.  But I tried to stay positive.  I thought about how well the room over the kitchen would work, how this living room that has so much natural light would be a great place for a kid to play, how the dining room flowing into the kitchen would mean I could keep an eye on a baby in a highchair while I cooked dinner.  And it turns out, we're using this house exactly the way I hoped and prayed we'd use it.  You'd think after 46 weeks the novelty might have worn off.  But no.  Still every time I see her I think about how much we wanted her, and how much richer our lives are because of her.  And I will never stop being grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment