We have been working on getting into a routine for when I go back to work next Wednesday (sad...). My favorite part of our bedtime routine is that when I take her to bed, I put her in her bassinet and I read aloud whatever book I'm reading. While I'm reading it, Evie will "chat" back to me; she makes all kinds of "goo-ahh" noises, but she stops if I lean my head over and ask her what she's talking about. She'll only talk if no one is looking at her. The cuteness of it tempts me to read more than one chapter, but eventually I have to turn the lights out on her so she'll sleep.
She's also discovering her hands and will sometimes use them to push her paci back in her mouth. Though she is getting very adept at popping her paci with her mouth. She sometimes sounds like Maggie on The Simpsons. She is also discovering her eyebrows which makes for some delightful faces. She can raise both of them individually, which is a skill that I certainly don't have, though I'm able to raise my right one. Check it:
We call this her grumpy face. Both eyebrows down.
I think she's practicing her teacher look.
And the come-hither look.
Since we have our nanny problem for this year solved, we have toured a couple of daycares to find somewhere for her to start in Fall 2013 because it seems that the wait lists are pretty long. We hope she'll be going to the Methodist church daycare for 2013/2014 and then to Mount Juliet Montessori Academy in Fall 2014. The Montessori school won't take her before she's 18 months, so she'll go to the Methodist church at 15 months, and they have a nice, small class size for that age group with immediate playground access and a very colorful environment. But I was very impressed by the Montessori school and how soon they start working on geography, language, math, life skills, etc. and I think it would be a great prep for her for kindergarten. I know she's only 7 weeks old, but you gotta start thinking about these things! At least, you do if you're a retired stage manager who needs something to plan...
Montessori school is really great! Syd + I went through the Montessori program through the 4th grade. They introduce things like nouns + adjectives + prepositions beginning in 1st grade, + outside of classroom learning, they teach valuable skills such as how to braid hair + wash dishes. Most Montessori schools have animals + access to nature + the outdoors for students, so they learn caring + responsibility when collecting chicken eggs or watering flowers daily. One of the downfalls is that they don't have any real consequences if you don't do your homework or if you plagiarize, so students don't learn study skills/habits & they don't really teach morality at all.
ReplyDelete-Jillian (: