Saturday, July 14, 2012

Music to Her Ears

Evie loves music.  I mean, she is just mesmerized by it.  Yesterday, we were playing in her nursery and she started to get a bit fussy so I turned on a playlist my friend Annalisa made of folk music, and Evie stopped fussing and started listening.  She calmed down and even started wiggling a bit, so it seemed like she really enjoyed it.  I was playing the music on my phone, and she was being so cute that I wanted to take pictures so I turned the camera on on my phone while the music was still going and started trying to get a good pic.  Well, she clearly realized that my phone was the source of the music because she followed it with her eyes no matter where I moved it.  It's the first time I've really noticed her tracking objects across her field of vision (one of her 2 month milestones).  Pretty much, if she's crying and music starts playing, it will at least cut the level of crying in half if not make her stop completely.  It's pretty amazing.

Incidentally, another 2 month milestone she seems to have met in just the last couple of days is control of her head for longer periods of time.  When we carry her around, she pretty consistently is doing a mini push-up off our shoulders and looking at the ceiling or the other side of the room.  She's also starting to coo (as I mentioned earlier) and gurgle at objects.  She was gurgling at the stars that hang above her bassinet just this morning.  And she definitely is bearing weight on her legs, another 2 month milestone.  It's so exciting to watch her develop all kinds of new skills, and it's pretty incredible that we'll just keep watching her develop new skills and acquire new knowledge for the rest of her life.  Parenthood is more wonderful than I ever dreamed it would be.

No comments:

Post a Comment