Today Evie is 4 weeks old, and, it being Independence Day, we (coincidentally) celebrated the idea of independence last night by letting Evie sleep in her crib. See, Evie has become a very vocal baby, particularly when she is sleeping. She grunts, sputters, snorts, and sighs all night in her bassinet, which is about 2 inches from my face. She's not upset, she doesn't need anything, but each sound makes me wonder if she's hungry, needs a change, needs a cuddle, is cold, is hot, needs her pacifier put back in her mouth, has somehow escaped her swaddling blanket, has managed to start suffocating herself, is spitting up and choking... I mean, after a while in the middle of the night, my imagination starts to go wild and I just can't sleep even though I know she's just fine.
So, since her vocality has made sleeping somewhat difficult for me for the last 4 nights or so, last night we moved the monitor into her nursery and Seth and I each had a receiver. Seth was upstairs in the bonus room the whole time she was in her crib, so I felt like she was safe and could be responded to quickly, but I had the monitor turned down low enough that I only heard it if she actually cried rather than hearing every single grunt. And Seth also gave her her mid-night bottle, as has been our custom for the last couple of weeks. As a result, I slept from midnight to 2:30 without interruption, and again from 2:45 to 4:45 when Seth and Evie came to our room. Evie slept fairly soundly (or, at least, I didn't hear anything) from 4:45-6:15, and then she was ready to eat so we started our day. But that's the most uninterrupted sleep I've gotten in the last several days. It was delightful. So, happy Independence Day to our 4 week old, who slept independently last night!
No comments:
Post a Comment