Seth and I went to Memphis for Christmas and had our news about Baby Mayne announced to my mom's side of the family, and to the church members who were there for the Christmas Day service. On Christmas Eve, my mom's youngest sister and her family came to our church service and were coming to the house afterwards for a meal, along with my dad's side of the family who already knew. So we definitely wanted to tell my aunt and uncle that night, just in case someone accidentally said something without thinking about the fact that they didn't know yet. At the service we sat in front of my aunt's family, which includes my 5 year old cousin who decided he wanted to sit with me and Seth. After the service was over, my aunt told me she hoped my cousin wasn't too much trouble, and I said, "Not at all! It gives us good practice... for June!" I loved watching the realization come over her face, and the hugs and tears. It was a very sweet moment, and she and her husband were so excited for us.
On Sunday, Mom and I both sang in the choir cantata on Christmas Day - which I will admit took a lot out of me since we were standing the entire time and I had a headache I just couldn't get rid of. At the end of the service, Dad said to the congregation, "I have been authorized to announce that our daughter and son-in-law are expecting a baby in June." Gasps. Tears. Smiles. And a good whack from Genie, the adorable 70s-ish alto that I sit next to in the choir. She is in the habit of expressing her excitement over things with a good slug on the arm. And then, of course, lots of congratulations to both me and Seth after the service concluded. It was delightful.
At Mom's family's side, we met at my mom's middle sister's house and before we prayed over the meal, Mom said she had an announcement. There's been some sad news on my sister-in-law's side of the family recently, and I think most people expected the announcement to be about that, but mom said, "We are so proud of Seth for getting in to Vanderbilt to work on his PhD. And this has brought Emily back to her roots in Nashville, where she was born, and that's where her and Seth's baby will be born in June." It caught quite a few people by surprise, and there were more hugs and smiles and congratulations.
Now that we have told so many folks, it definitely feels more real. We have one more group of people to tell: our friends who were our bridesmaids and groomsmen in our wedding. One of our friends from California is coming to visit on Thursday, and the girls are coming in for New Year's around the same time, so we are telling them in person then. So in another week, it will all be public.
Our little Lemon is definitely growing, and it's wonderful that he/she has so many admirers already. The second trimester has definitely been better than the first, though yesterday I did have a headache that was so persistent and painful I ended up feeling nauseous and cried over it. I feel like such a wimp when I can't seem to do anything or think straight because of these pregnancy symptoms. Oh well. It's definitely for a good cause, and it's not permanent. Grow, Lemon, grow!

No comments:
Post a Comment