We've had a really wonderful Christmas and hope you all have too. Evie started her break out by going to the campground she attends over the summer for a one-night, 27-hour camp experience. The only picture I saved was this one of her holding a snake, which I know she was thrilled about because she loves those slithery creatures for some reason.
When I picked her up from camp, I took her straight to a Christmas party with some friends for school, and then I brought Will with me to pick her up from the party. Ryan and family arrived the same night that Evie went to camp, so she hadn't seen her cousins yet, and Will was a very welcome surprise. They enjoyed each other on the way back to Granna and Grannadaddy's house, and we stayed over there until about 11 pm. Evie came downstairs around then and said she wasn't feeling well, so we whisked her home. I laid in bed with her and tried to comfort her, but she was absolutely miserable; her head hurt so badly she was crying. I asked her if it would help if I sang to her and she said yes. When she was little, I used to sing her the song from "Tarzan", which she called the Mama Monkey Song, except she said "monkshee" instead of "monkey." So when I asked her what she wanted me to sing to help her feel better, she said, "The Mama Monkey Song", and I just about couldn't sing it from the lump in my throat. I also sang several other songs I used to sing to her regularly, "Puppet on a String", "What a Friend We Have in Jesus", "Be Thou My Vision" and other hymns. After the 5th or 6th song, she turned to me all teary eyed and said, "Thank you, that made my day. I haven't heard those songs in so long." I got all lumpy-throated again.
The next morning, she got sick to her stomach and wanted to sleep, so unfortunately she had to miss games at my cousin Daniel's house. I went, leaving Seth at home to make sure Evie drank water and ate something. She didn't have any appetite all day, and that afternoon she was running a fever. We did a COVID test which came back negative, and I started giving her acetaminophen and ibuprofen at alternating hours, then let her sleep overnight without waking her. When I checked on her Christmas Eve morning, she was fever free and feeling so much better!
We went to church Christmas Eve morning, then lunch at Kathy and Rickie's house, then back to church again for our Christmas Eve service, then my parents' house for the Christmas Eve meal, and then Grannadaddy, Seth and I went to church again. My brother (or maybe this was my dad's phrase) called it the club sandwich Christmas, except instead of bread/meat/bread/meat/bread, it was church/food/church/food/church. Our family (the entire JMK clan) lit the advent wreath at the evening service, as seems to be our church's preference.
Family pic in front of the Chrismon tree
Kristy's family was there as well so we got a big group photo
Cousins Will, Addie, Evie, Lydia, Aiden, and Zach
Evie and the other Lydia
Back at Granna and Grannadaddy's for the most wonderful meal of the year
Christmas morning, we opened presents just at our house, and then headed to Granna and Grannadaddy's for more presents and more eating.
Cousins checking their stockings together
Evie's gift from Tia, a tiger backpack



















No comments:
Post a Comment