Monday, January 9, 2023

Fire and Sass

 This week, we've gone back to school and back to ballet.  It's hard getting into the swing of things again, but we have a lot of cool things to look forward to this semester, so I'm sure it'll be fun and fly by.

Saturday, Evie and Grannadaddy and I went to St. Mary's Cathedral where they were holding a service for the Feast of Lights.  It was a nice service with a nod to Epiphany, and afterwards, we walked out to the parking lot where they were burning the greens.  People brought their wreaths and Christmas trees (live only, of course) to go in the fire.  We had attended this service in 2019, but it's been a while so Evie didn't remember it.  I figured she'd be pretty into the big fire and I was right (see video).



On the way out of the church, Evie still had her candle lit, and a woman who was taking pictures for documentation/publicity asked me if it was okay for her to take her picture.  Evie felt quite honored at getting to model for a moment.

After the service, Evie and I invited ourselves over to Granna and Grannadaddy's house for dinner (since Seth and Matt were off gaming and I didn't have much at home).  It was really nice to spend some time with just them, since Christmas and Dad's birthday had been with the family at-large.  We are so blessed to be so close to them.  As we drove away, Evie said, "I'm glad we're able to see Granna and Grannadaddy so much."  Me too, kid, me too.

I have to tell a funny story that demonstrates a bit of Evie's sassy streak.  Since Matt has been living with us and she's sleeping in the office room, she can't go to her room or the office when she gets home from school so she's been hanging in our bedroom until Seth is done in the office.  She gets in our bed and wraps herself in our blankets to the point that when we try to get into bed at night we have to figure out how the sheets are supposed to go.  Granted, we don't ever make our bed properly so it's not like she's upsetting a pristinely made bed. But we at least leave the sheets across the whole bed, not bundled up in a wad.  So, Seth said to Evie, "Look, we don't mind if you use our bed when you come home, but so long as you make it back up when you get out of it."  She said,"Do I need to leave it like I found it, or do I have to make the whole thing?"  Touche!

1 comment:

  1. Grannadaddy and I are so glad you are close by and that we get to see so much of you too! Just Grannadaddy, Evie and I were at trivia at Mellow Mushroom tonight, and I took a book about a ballerina and a squeezable Corgi to entertain her a bit. She also quizzed us some on the Great Depression. After Evie saw her photo with the corgi and read the texts her mother and I shared, she said, "Granna, you spoil me. And I'm OK with that!" The delivery was great too. I told her it is a joy to spoil her a little, and I hope to continue to spoil you, Evie!

    ReplyDelete