Monday, January 23, 2023

A Part of Me Was Missing

 As I last reported, I stayed in North Carolina to visit with Annalisa for an indulgent extra 4 days, while Seth and Evie came home to go to school and work.  I worked a little while I was away too, but mostly hung out with Annalisa and Mary.  I called to check on Seth and Evie every night and it seemed to me that they were doing fine.  I knew that Granna and Grannadaddy were picking Evie up from school since Seth doesn't get off work until 6, and that they were making sure she had dinner.  I knew that Seth was getting her to school on time and keeping her dressed and fed.  But every night when I talked to her, she would say to me, "Mama, I really miss you."  There was an extra sense of longing there, that I didn't even fully realize until I got home on Friday and saw Evie's face when Granna dropped her off at our house.  She smiled her winning smile at me with that extra sparkle in her eye and I knew she felt like things were right again.

Yesterday morning, I went to wake her up and snuggle before we started getting ready for church and she mentioned again how glad she was that I was back.  I asked her what it was that she missed so much while I was gone.  She said she couldn't quite put her finger on it, "but it felt like a part of me was missing."  Of course I teared up and told her I felt the same.  

We are so blessed to be mother and daughter.  I understand how she feels, because I feel that way when I'm apart from people in my family.  It's why I live here, just 10 minutes from my parents and 15 minutes from my aunt and uncle.  There's definitely something about being together with family that makes you feel whole.  How amazing for my 10-year-old to have that figured out already.

No comments:

Post a Comment