On last Tuesday, our friend Matt came to visit for a week. I've just taken him to the airport to go back home. We last saw Matt when he joined us in Tokyo in 2019, and though we've exchanged texts and some phone calls, there's nothing like having people come visit you and hanging out in person. Evie let Matt use her room for the week, so she slept on a mattress pad on the floor of our room. Matt was very intentional in telling her thank you for giving up her room and letting him use her space. She felt very respected, which I know was what Matt was going for.
On Friday of this week, Evie had a showcase for her ballet camp, so I'm sharing those videos, and some pictures Matt took.
Here's the Hungarian dance. You'll see Evie leading the line of girls at the back of the stage.
Here's a contemporary piece. Evie is the only one wearing black.
And here, Swan Lake, you'll catch her coming onto the marley (dance floor) at 0:22.
Look at her expression!
She had a great time at camp. Seth, Matt and I went to Nashville for a concert Friday, so Evie spent the night with Granna and Grannadaddy. Then on Saturday, she had her first non-family sleepover at Sasha's house with 3 other friends of Sasha's, none of whom she knew. I was impressed with her because she said she fit right in with the other girls, and that she was the only one who got 8 hours of sleep.
Sunday I picked Evie up and she began what's going to be our new custom of having her ride in the front seat when it's not occupied by an adult. She's excited to be old enough to do this legally.
After church, we went to see a movie and Evie enjoyed chatting with Matt about her favorite movies and characters.
Yesterday we went to a cute restaurant in Midtown where Evie always enjoys posing in the Memphis celebrity cut outs.
I'm really grateful that Matt was able to come visit, and also that he's the kind of friend who makes my kid feel important and respected. She said today when I took her to camp that she was really sad that Matt was leaving. He made an impression on her. He's an only child too, so I think he has a way of talking with her that shows respect and interest, and I'm really glad she got to experience that.








No comments:
Post a Comment