Sunday, June 5, 2022

Last Day as a Nine-Year-Old

 My darling Evie,

As I write this from the bed in our hotel room in Bern, you are about to fall asleep in the bed across from me.  We are on our big trip to Europe and you have once again amazed me with your traveling tolerance.  We have basically been up for 36 hours except for tiny naps here and there and yet you maturely kept your cool all day and went site seeing with us to all the places on our list.  

I have seen such a huge difference in your maturity from age 9 to age 10.  This trip, for instance, is one that has required you to be accommodating to the interests and needs of others and put your own needs on pause for a minute.  I've seen you be able to handle that same kind of situation with more and more grace over this year as you've gone back to in person school and resumed extracurricular activities.

You've also developed a wonderful sense of humor.  Your puns and jokes are getting funnier and I love how much you enjoy using your wit.

I feel like we're stepping into a new phase of your development.  You're starting to feel "not good enough", you tell me.  You're starting to question whether daddy and I know what we're talking about.  We're starting to expect new things from you in terms of responsibility and how you seek attention.  This change is supposed to happen, and I know this phase of parenting you once you're in double digits will be markedly different than what we've been through so far.  You are still the shining light of my every waking hour, the reason for my smile, the joy of my life.  As you grow into the young lady you are going to be, I treasure every step along the way and I marvel at the particularly wonderful way you have of being you.  You are thoughtful, kindhearted, and loving, an old soul, a friend to everyone.  You make me proud every moment, and I am so very grateful and blessed to me your Mama.


All my love, forever,

Mama













No comments:

Post a Comment