Friday, May 22, 2020

End of Second Grade

This was Evie's last week of second grade.  Coronavirus has basically had us doing at-home schooling for a quarter of the school year, and for the first couple of weeks, we had no resources.  Then the teachers started emailing out ideas that were optional, and we cobbled together our daily activities, which included online E/LA and Math lessons, reading (me to her and her to me), CLUE lessons online, writing, watching nature documentaries, doing some singing and yoga, and basically just trying to get through the situation of me working from home while trying to be a teacher and her trying to get through things on her own while I needed to take phone calls.  It wasn't graceful, but we managed it and we'll be doing some summer activities/camps online.

We took a "field trip" to the Tennessee Safari Park again on Wednesday.  It's kind of become a monthly activity.  Evie is getting much braver about feeding the animals.  When we got there this time, she said, "I love going here.  I love the animal smell!"  You do you, kid.


Here she is this evening as we went out for ice cream to celebrate her end of the school year.



Evie had a couple of moments where her old soul really showed itself this week.  I mentioned to her one night how grown up she was acting.  She said, "Well, I can't stay little forever.  But you'll always have the memories."

Another day when she was choosing from the set of writing prompts for class, she said, "I'll choose the one about my most prized possession.  I asked her, "And what's that?"  Expecting something like, her favorite toy or something we picked up on one of our trips, I was surprised by her answer: "My life, of course."

No comments:

Post a Comment