Friday, January 3, 2020

2020 not going so great...

Well, 2020 is not off to such a great start for us...  Everything seemed fine for us over the weekend (we did nothing, and it was great!).  We went to church per usual and then to lunch with our group, including baby Lydia.


Evie and I snapped a few photos on the couch Sunday night, and we were planning on going to my cousin's house in the morning where Evie would get to play with her 4, girl second cousins and I would join my cousin, his wife, my other cousin, and my dad in some board games.


But when we got up Monday morning, Evie said that her throat hurt.  I took her temperature and it was 100.4 so I figured we'd better skip the playdate.  By noon, her fever was over 103 and I made an appointment with the pediatrician.  Evie tested positive for the flu, so we got our Tamiflu prescription and let those who had been around her know that she was sick.  I was worried that Grandma Jeanne had gotten it from her because she also had a fever, and then I heard that Kathy was sick, and then my dad.  Turns out each of these people had something different (pneumonia for Grandma Jeanne, bronchitis for Kathy, and a cold for Grannadaddy), but Evie spent most of the day Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday too sick to move.  

She fell asleep on the couch with Edison has her nurse.

We had planned to have Evie spend the night with Granna and Grannadaddy while we hosted New Years' festivities at our house, but we had to cancel that.  Seth stayed home with Evie while I went out to dinner with our friends (my friends from high school and I have rung in the New Year with each other since NYE of 2000), and then I came home.  Evie had slept most of the day so she was up for a bit and we let her watch the ball drop in Times Square so she saw 11 pm, and then we put her to bed and stayed up playing video games until about 1 am.

Evie had been so excited that Edison was going to be turning 1 year old on New Years' Day.  She had made an elaborate plan for him to get a bath and then a car ride to Starbucks for a puppacino, but she was too sick to leave the house still.  He did still manage to get spoiled by sitting on Daddy's lap.



On Thursday, Evie had been fever-free for 24 hours so I took her to Granna's house while I saw my patients.  When I finished seeing my patients and running my errands, I went to the rehab center, where I found Grandma Jeanne had passed and I called my Dad, then Kathy, then Mom.  Mom was with Evie and Evie overheard her say, "Oh no" in response to the sad news I had.  At the time the paramedics were still working on Grandma and I wasn't positive what was going to happen so when Evie asked Granna what happened, she told her that Grandma Jeanne was very sick and that she needed to take her home where Seth would watch her (he had gone home sick earlier, but not terribly ill).  Evie said, "I've had surprise news before," and immediately went to get her shoes and get in the car.  On the way, Evie and Granna were talking about what was going to happen with Grandma Jeanne and Granna said she didn't know and the only thing to do was pray.  She said she looked back at her then and Evie had her head bowed and eyes closed.

After the funeral home arrived to take Grandma Jeanne's body away, Seth and Evie met up with us at Kathy's house and I told her that Grandma Jeanne had died.  She did not seem surprised, so I think she assumed that that would be the outcome and had prepared herself for it.

Today we went to Chicken Salad Chick after we ran some errands.  Evie has been checking on me every hour or so, asking me if I'm okay and giving me sweet hugs and kisses.  I have the best girl in the world...  And she seems to be mostly recovered from her flu.  

While we were eating, she asked me if I wanted to open a restaurant and I told her no, but that I used to work as a cashier at the same restaurant that Kathy and Grandma Jeanne worked at together (they worked there in the 80s and I worked there in the late 90s).  I told Evie that Grandaddy Mouse used to make a joke that they were going to open a family restaurant: Grandma Jeanne would do the cooking, Kathy would do the serving, I would be the cashier, and he'd come by twice a day to take the money to the bank.  Evie, without missing a beat, said, "Well now, you can be the cooker, I can be the server, and Granadaddy can take the money."

She made a cute observation the other day.  She said, "Our family, the Maynes - we do Christmas cards.  Uncle Ryan and Aunt Aimee do calendars (of pictures of their kids), and Granna and Grannadaddy do the spoiling."


No comments:

Post a Comment