Friday, August 2, 2019

Free Willy

This week was Evie's last week of summer camp.  She finished her theatre camp with a great show today that Granna and I were able to go to.  I can't believe it's only one more week until school starts!

This week, Seth and I showed Evie the movie Free Willy, a movie nearly void of conflict.  My daughter, who listens to Roald Dahl books to fall asleep, was scared to death of this movie for some reason.  We kept telling her nothing was going to happen, but she was constantly worried that Willy (the orca) was going to bite the kid who was trying to train him.  She got herself through it and then became a huge fan and pronounced that she wants to be Willy in the musical version and then proceeded to make her way down the hallway on her belly, like a beached whale.  I could not stop laughing, trying to imagine a musical production of Free Willy in which they hired a 6-year-old to play the whale....

Trying to clean up this week, I asked Evie multiple times to put her folded clothes into her dresser drawers.  She made a big deal over it, like it was the end of the world.  She said she didn't want to and I told her I do stuff I don't want to all the time.  Then she said she didn't think it was fair of me to ask her to do it.  I told her, "Do you buy the groceries or cook the meals?  Do you put the clothes in the washer or the dryer or fold them?  Do you take out the trash?  These are all things that make your life easier and you don't have to do any of them, so I think you can handle putting away your own clothes."  She said, "Mama, you always say I should enjoy being a kid for as long as I can."  She's not wrong....

Evie produced her own ukulele song this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment