Every Thursday, Evie has a tap/ballet class and she is now one of the older ones in her group. She's looking very serious here, trying to get the tap steps down. She finds tap a little challenging but really enjoys ballet.
We decided to stop gymnastics for a little while. Her new studio was a little intimidating with all their very fancy and high equipment, and she actually got hurt a few times over the course of a few weeks and it was causing her and me stress. So we'll take a break and maybe do a tumbling class later, which is more Evie's speed, or maybe we'll just do some other activities instead.
Saturday, we had a special outing to see the Story Pirates which is a group of actors based in NYC who take stories kids have submitted and turn them into skits and music. They have a podcast that we started listening to this summer and Evie loves them so when I heard they were coming to do a show in Memphis, I wanted to get tickets for us. We had a blast! The group did a few of the stories that they've done on the podcast before, but then the kids in the audience helped build a brand new story and the actors did a lot of improv, including singing and dancing.
Dressing up with the Story Pirates props
After the show, we went to Pearl's Oyster House which is a Memphis classic that none of us had ever been to before. Seth is teaching Evie about what oysters are like on the inside. Evie really, really wanted to find a pearl, so her wonderful daddy hid a lemon seed in an oyster so she could find a "pearl".
Then we went to a pumpkin patch and brought home a couple of enormous pumpkins to carve. Evie was so into it this year!
Sunday we had a Fall Festival at our church. Evie went as Elsa and I didn't get any pictures of her because I was hosting the craft room, but she had a good time. Seth took her to my aunt Kathy's house to visit with her and Grandma Jeanne - they've both been sick lately. Kathy called me later and said she had to tell me something about Evie. She said that as they she and Seth were talking, she noticed Evie just staring into Grandma's eyes for about 2 minutes, not saying anything, not playing, just looking deeply at her, like she was looking into her soul. After they left, Kathy mentioned to Grandma how amazed she was at Evie looking at her like that and Grandma, without Kathy having said this phrase to her, said, "It's like she was looking into my soul." There is truly something special about this little girl. I don't know many 6-year-olds who would stop what they're doing while dressed up for Halloween to gaze at their great-grandmothers in that way.
Monday, since I didn't get to go around with Evie for our Fall Festival, she and I went to another church's festival with Cristal, Nathaniel, and Lydia - Cristal and I were the go-to people for our church's event and we felt like we missed out on having the fun with our kids, so I'm glad we went to another one where our only responsibilities were to be mom.
Two princesses: Evie as Elsa and Lydia as Rapunzel
Street Hockey Elsa
Today, Halloween, I got to go to Evie's school to eat lunch with her. I'm trying to make sure I go visit her school at least once a month, so I just squeaked this visit in. I love getting to do this with this precious girl!
Then I picked Evie up from school and we waited until trick-or-treating time. This is only Evie's third year to get to go trick-or-treating because I thought she was too young until she was 4, and last year we went with friends in their neighborhood so this was only her second time to trick-or-treat in our neighborhood. The forecast showed rain all evening, but even though it started at 4 pm, there was a break at 5:30, so we headed out and hit up several houses in the neighborhood. Evie loved when people commented on her Snow White dress or shoes, or told her to be careful, and she loved examining each piece of candy after it was given to her as we walked to the next house. She would gladly have spent hours trick-or-treating, I think, but the rain came again at 6:15 as we were making our way back to our house, so we got in the car and drove to Granna and Granndaddy's house so they could see her and then headed back home. Evie ate a few pieces of candy while we watched The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad and is now asleep. These are the moments that I have always looked forward to about being a mom and they do not disappoint. I am so fortunate that I have the sweetest girl in the world to share them with.












No comments:
Post a Comment