Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Old Soul Wisdom

Evie's week at home with mom last week included, at her request, a trip to the cemetery.  I learned as we drove by that she thought the cemetery was a place where they grow flowers.  So I explained to her what a cemetery was and that my some members of my dad's side of the family are buried there.  She asked if we could go see them, so we went by my grandfather's grave (Grandaddy Mouse) which is in the mausoleum.  I was surprised to discover that Evie did not get nearly as weirded out by the experience as I would have been at her age.  She was curious about what was inside the vault, of course, and we actually passed a vault that was open and she wanted to look inside.  Then we walked through the graves to find my great-grandparents.  As we did that, she asked me about who the people were and I explained that I didn't know them all, but I could tell how old they were from their graves. 

She was saddened when we came upon the grave of a 5-year-old.  That experience has stuck with her over the last few days because she will occasionally look a little sad in the backseat and I'll ask her what's wrong and she'll tell me she's thinking of the 5-year-old who died.  I understand; It's hard to wrap your head around something like that at any age.  In fact, during one of these moments, she asked what happened to the 5-year-old and I told her I don't know, but sometimes bad things happen.  She said, "Yeah, sometimes God lets bad things happen."  I said, "Why do you think He does that?"  She said, "It's just part of life."  Such an incredibly mature response.

When we came upon my great-grandparents' graves, I asked her how she felt and she said, "A little sad."  I said, "Why?"  She said, "Cause they're not here."  I said, "Well, you can talk to them if you want to."  She leaned down and whispered something.  I asked her what she said and she said, "I told them I wished they were here with us in person."  My girl is such an old soul.


Evie has started doing my workouts with me on occasion and she's been telling me she wishes she had her own weights.  So we got her some on Saturday and she was so proud.


Saturday was also our anniversary.  Evie spent the night at Granna and Grannadaddy's house and Seth and I went out for a very nice meal and movie.  It's hard to believe it's been 11 years.

This week, Evie has been at Theatre Camp which she is enjoying very much.  It's a half day camp, so she goes in the morning and does singing, acting, and dancing, and then she and I try to go somewhere together in the afternoons.  This afternoon I took her to a gym that we're going to try out for gymnastics now that she'll be at a school that doesn't offer gymnastics as an aftercare program.  She was so excited when we walked in this enormous gym and she said, "Mama!  Did you know I've been waiting my whole life to be in a real gym?!"  She did great during the session and I was very impressed with the coach who spoke with her kindly but firmly and encouraged her to work hard and focus.

No comments:

Post a Comment