This week, Evie had her theatre showcase and did a great job as Kid #1 in her class's version of The Lorax. She was one of only 3 kids who were willing to actually speak their lines. I was very proud of her. I can't remember if I mentioned that her teacher, Annie, is someone I did theatre with when I was a kid; we acted together in The Importance of Being Earnest and I cast her when I directed The Princess Bride. Evie remarked that maybe one day she'll teach Ms. Annie's kids. My child embraces the circle of life idea, as do I.
After her performance, we went to the Tigers game and cheered them on until the fans got really upset at a bad call made by the refs. We got a little uncomfortable when 10 minutes after the play, fans were still booing and yelling and cursing, so we decided to leave, and actually just 15 minutes later, the rain came and the game got put on hold due to lightning, so we had really good timing. It was fun to be there, though.
Evie and I were talking one morning about movies - a favorite subject for her - and she asked me how come something bad always happens in a movie. And I told her, well, if no conflict happened, it might be a little boring to watch. She said, "Yeah, like it's good that Snow White had a wicked mother, or else it wouldn't be interesting to me." I was impressed she was so easily able to provide her own example.
This girl absolutely had me in tears one night this week. She was upset about the possibility of so many changes in first grade, and I said, "Honey, I'll always be here to help you through life's changes." A second later, her face got very sad and she said, "When you grow up and you die, I won't be able to hear your voice." I caught my breath and then said, "You'll hear it in your heart, baby." We hugged and finished our bed time routine, and then I stepped into the hallway and cried my eyes out.

No comments:
Post a Comment