Monday, October 31, 2016

Happy Halloween!

Happy Halloween, all!  Evie (Rapunzel) and I went old school trick-or-treating tonight, by which I mean, door-to-door in our neighborhood.  We have never done that before.  Her first Halloween at 4 months old, Sydney and I sat with Evie on the porch and handed out candy.  Her second Halloween,  she stayed home and played while Seth and I handed out candy.  Her third and fourth Halloween we went to the Tigers games and did trick-or-treating on Tiger Lane.  So this was the first year that I we haven't had other plans and that she was old enough to go trick-or-treating, and the experience was amazing.  I know I've mentioned before that I have always had these idealistic moments of parenthood in my dreams - you know, perfect Christmas mornings, road trips, baking cookies...  Trick-or-treating with my kid is definitely one of those on my list and I was not disappointed by the experience.  She was so interested in going from house to house that I had a hard time getting her to listen to me to only pick the houses where the front porch lights were on (should have gone over that before we left the house).  We trick-or-treated for about two hours, got way more candy than she needed, and finally headed home in the dark and made ourselves some chicken nuggets and mac and cheese for dinner and watched Ichabod and Mr. Toad.  I love holidays with my baby!


We did have a Tigers game Saturday night so we did do our traditional trick-or-treating on Tiger Lane.  I tried to convince Evie to be Tigger again since it's probably the last time she'll be able to fit into that costume, but she did not want to do that and went as Aurora instead.


So much candy!

Go Tigers!

Yesterday, of course, was church in the morning and then in the evening we went to the church's Fall Festival.  There was a blind-judged contest for best Halloween-themed dish and so Evie helped me make a pumpkin patch dessert (brownies topped with chocolate icing, covered in Oreo dust and decorated with marshmallow pumpkins).  Evie helped me with every since step, including making the signs for the patch - and she won!


She had a great time playing all the games, doing crafts, and wearing fake mustaches.


And I have to share photos of her dress for worship because she's just darling in it.

I think you can really see how much she looks like Seth here.



Seth tried to evolve the Guessing Animals game into 20 Questions, explaining to Evie how that would work.  He gave a clue and I asked a question to demonstrate, and after he answered, Evie yells out, "JAGUAR!" (which was wrong) and Seth says, "Do you want to ask a question?"  And Evie responds, "Are you a jaguar?"  She didn't quite get it.

One more picture of her outfit from this morning, and her tendency to pose like a model:


This morning, Evie pretending to talk to Desmond on the phone, asking him who is going to be for Halloween, and then she says she's going to be "Tailan" (I have no idea who that is).  Seth says, "Oh, Tailan, the irand (island) off the coast of China," making a joke of the /r/ for /l/ and /l/ for /r/ substitution of many Asian accents.  I didn't catch this on the video, but she afterwards, she says, "Mama!  He was speaking Spanyish!"

No comments:

Post a Comment