Monday, October 10, 2016

Texas Time!

We just got back from a fun visit in Texas with my brother and his family.  Ryan said he wasn't sure if it's because they're related or because Evie is who she is, but Evie is the only kid that when paired with his kids doesn't require any extra work.  I like to think it's both their unique cousin bond and because Evie is awesome.

The kids did amazingly great.  They didn't have a single argument the whole weekend and really enjoyed each other.  Addie and Will had plenty of toys to entertain Evie and they played several different pretend games together.  We also went on the boat, went out for TexMex, and went to Will's soccer game.  I can say that having a co-ed soccer team of 5 and 6 year olds results in more goals than Evie's all girls team of 4-year-olds.  We had a good time rooting for the "Wolf Pack" and howling every time Will's team scored a goal.

Sunday night the kids had their first cousin sleepover.  They all slept in the big bed in Will's room and did really well.  Evie hadn't slept well the last two nights, sharing a bed in the guest room with me where she would wake up and try to rub my cheek or hold my hand.  Sweet as that was, I am not a cuddler and would get annoyed at her for waking me up (I'm so not good when my sleep is disturbed) and she had skipped naps on Saturday and Sunday, so by Sunday night the kids were in bed at 7:30 and stayed there until the grown-ups went to bed at midnight.  Evie must have heard us going to bed because she woke up and came into my room and slept with me until about 5 am when she started trying to hold my hand again and I banished her back to Will's room because I knew I needed more sleep to be able to drive back to Memphis safely.  On our way home, Evie told me, "If I could, I would stay with Uncle Ryan and Aunt Aimee forever."

Playing with Rapunzel's castle

Breakfast and... I dunno... dancing maybe?

Sleepover!

Evie continues to be enchanted with the boy Desmond.  She tells me nearly every day that they are going to get married and have 10 children.  My dad asked her why she likes Desmond so much, to which she replied, "He looks pretty cool."  On another day, Evie and I were talking about how some day she will have to grow up.  It went like this:

Me: Do you want to grow up?
Evie: No.  (sigh)  But I have to.
Me: How come you don't want to grow up?
Evie: Cause I want to stay with you forever.
Me: But when you're a grown up we can still see each other.
Evie:  Yeah.
Me: Will I get to see you every day or just every other day?
Evie: I will see you every day!  And you can also be invited when I have a wedding with Desmond.  But it might be far away.  But you can take an airplane.

So I guess she and Desmond are having a destination wedding?

I know everyone thinks their kids are special, and I'm not exception.  But apparently my kid also thinks she's pretty special.  We were talking about why we live in Memphis (because we like to see our family) and we were naming all the people who love her.  We listed Daddy, Mama, Herbie, and Edgar, and I said, "Who else loves you?"  She said, "Everyone, except the ones who don't know me."

True.

No comments:

Post a Comment