Monday, October 3, 2016

Budding Actress

This is an eclectic entry of funny or amazing things this kid has said this week:

Evie was talking to Seth and me about a couple of characters from a movie, one who is very tall and one who is short.  She said, "Dr. Facilier" (the tall one) "is evil.  And Prince Naveen's servant is a little bit evil....  because he's smaller."  I couldn't stop laughing at her equating size with degree of evilness.

Seth and Evie were talking about going to Zoo Boo, which we did last year.  She wore her Tigger costume last year and she wasn't the only kid there dressed as Tigger.  She said to Seth, "And why there were two Tiggers?"  THIS IS FROM A YEAR AGO!!!! The memory she has....

Out of curiosity, I decided to see what Evie's aptitude for antonym generation is, because I have some kids at the middle school where I am working as an SLP who have goals about antonyms.  First I asked her what the opposite of hot is and she said warm.  So then I explained what opposite meant and gave her the example of cold, and she immediately got it.  She did tall/short, long/short, big/little, fat/thin, and about 10 others that I can't even remember right now.  I was seriously impressed.

She enjoys playing pretend in the car quite a bit. She's very imaginative, and she even told me the other day, "Mama, I wanna be on the stage and act like somebody."  So, we play pretend a lot and she's constantly choosing princess stories and being the princess, of course, but sometimes I make her be someone else.  One day this week I told her I didn't want to play Sleeping Beauty or Ariel because they just wait for a man to come and rescue them.  I asked her if she thinks that women need men to rescue them and she said, "Yeah, most of the time." So I spent quite a bit of time finding real life and fictional examples where women are able to take care of themselves or where men are dependent on women to help them.  So, I think she understood that it's not always women waiting for a man to rescue them.  However, the next time she chose a pretend game, it was Pocahontas and she chose to be John Smith who needed rescuing from Pocahontas's father who was about to behead her... So maybe it's just that Evie likes to be the person in distress....

I've had a few teary mommy moments this week.  When I drop her off in the mornings, she's so well adjusted and I'm so grateful for that.  But sometimes it gets me.  This tiny little girl is growing up and growing independent, and that's exactly what I want, but it seems like it won't be too long before she doesn't need me at all, or at least thinks that she doesn't.  I love it when she says, "I want to stay with you forever" or "You'll always be my mama" or "I'll always tell you everything" and when she says those things to me, I tell her, "I hope you remember that in a few years!"  Getting to experience Evie's childhood as her mother is one of the greatest gifts I've been given.

No comments:

Post a Comment