This week we celebrated my grandma's 86th birthday. On Tuesday, her actual birthday, we had dinner together at my parents' house. Evie had been picked up by Grannadaddy and they drove out to pick up my Grandma. Grandma told me that on the drive back to my parents' house, Evie wanted to play 101 Dalmatians and assigned them all parts. I got to the house around 4:30 pm and made dinner and we all ate together before I had to leave to go to class. I forgot to bring the birthday cards Evie and I had gotten, but Evie told Grandma Jeanne, "I got you a card," and then she whispered, "It's a Minnie Mouse card." I was impressed that she remembered we even had a card because we bought them a week before and I hadn't mentioned to Evie that day that we should take the cards to Grandma.
Last night we went out to dinner with Grandma Jeanne, my parents, and Kathy and Rickie. There was a musician there playing guitar and the steel drums and singing, and our table was right behind him. Evie enjoyed watching him play and listening to the different instruments, and she gave him a tip a couple of times. He was very sweet with her.
Tipping the musician
Reading cards with Grandma Jeanne. I love these two ladies so much.
The winter weather in Memphis is very strange. One day it'll be a high of 30 and the next a high of 70. Fortunately today was one of the warmer days so Evie and I took her new bike from Grammy out for a spin. She doesn't quite get it yet - she's supposed to pick up her feet and glide on it, not pedal, because it teaches her balance in preparation for a real bike. But for now she's just scooting along on it. She'll get there, I'm sure.


A couple of language funnies. When we were leaving the house one morning, Evie noticed the black cable running into the house. She asked me what it was for. I tried to explain to her that it would be the way that we get lots of channels on TV, but that we don't use it because we get our shows through the internet. I tried adding clarification that Granna and Grannadaddy get cable, as evidenced by the fact that they get golf and baseball and Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and Berenstain Bears and all kinds of shows that we don't get. I thought she had understood the internet vs cable discussion when she said, "When I'm a grown up...", but she followed it up with "I'm gonna get Mickey Mouse Clubhouse." I told her I didn't think when she was a grown up she would still want to watch Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. But you never know.
Another funny was when I was telling her she looked so tall and was growing up so fast. She said, "Mom! Look at my tushie!!! It's getting bigger, like yours!" Thanks, kid...
No comments:
Post a Comment