Last Sunday, I forgot to mention that Evie demonstrated her extrovertedness during lunch. We went to lunch with a large group from church which included Granna, Grandma Jeanne, Cristal and Baby Nathan, but also included many older adults who all know Evie but who Evie mostly doesn't know by name. After she'd eaten, she decided to introduce herself to everyone at the table and walked up to all of the adults and said, "Hi, I'm Evie. What's your name?" It reminded me so much of Sunday lunches with my Grandaddy who never met a stranger and didn't mind striking up a conversation with someone in a restaurant. I hope she keeps that outgoing personality.
A few months ago, Evie stopped letting us sing to her before bedtime, which honestly was breaking my heart because I love to sing and snuggle with her before bed. But I finally figured out a way to get us back into it! I started asking her to sing to me. She's been enjoying making up songs lately, so I'll ask her, "Are you going to sing, or do I sing?" She'll sing and then let me sing, so we both get a turn. Her songs are always funny. A couple of nights ago I was wearing a jacket that has holes for your thumbs to go through. Her bedtime song that night went something like this:
You put your head on the blant-et (blanket)
And the turtains (curtains) fall down
And then you put your thumbs into your jatet (jacket - and by this point I am cracking up while she tries to force the jacket over my thumbs)
And the Mama doesn't laugh (she makes a stern face at me)
I couldn't stop laughing.
Yesterday Evie was asking about Winston being in heaven - she's still trying to work through this whole dying and heaven thing. I'm trying to keep things as simple as possible, but it got complicated yesterday when she asked if Winston was coming back. I told her no, he wouldn't, but we would get to see him again when we get to heaven. Of course she asked why people don't come back from heaven, so I told her when our time here is done, we go to heaven with everyone else and stay there forever. She asked, "Does everybody to go heaven?" So I told her that I personally believe that yes, everybody does because Jesus came for everyone, but then I felt like I needed to add that not everybody believes that - some people think you have to believe in Jesus in order to get to go to heaven. I was expected her next question to be equally curious and philosophical so I wasn't prepared when her follow up to that was, "Mama? Can we play 'I Spy'?" Guess I got too deep for her.
Another funny from this week was when I was trying to remind Evie that we needed to practice violin. I was trying to get her to guess what I was saying so I did a little violin motion and said, "And then we need to do...." And she pops up with "Trombone!" I must not be very good at charades...
I was impressed with her new game she made up this week. We listen to a song by Raffi called "Dog on the Bus" which is basically the same as "The Wheels on the Bus" but with different animals. So then Evie starts singing it and changes is to "The dog on the bus goes 'hoo hooo hooooo'" (the owl comes later in the song), so I asked her, "Okay, if the dog goes hooo hooo, sing me the owl on the bus" and she sang, "The owl on the bus goes 'woof woof woof'". I was pleasantly surprised she was able to switch things around in her head correctly.
Speaking of animals, I mentioned a while ago the game that Evie and I created where she asked me to feed her and with each bite she would decide what animal it was - I would make the appropriate animal noise and then pretend to be surprised or disgusted at whatever animal she just ate. Now she does that game for herself. She'll pick up a bite and say, "This is gonna be a mama cow" and moo while she brings the spoon to her mouth. When she did that at breakfast Friday, I told her, "You're such a ham!" She said, "I'm not a ham!" I asked her, "Oh, then what are you?" expecting her usual response of "I'm Evie." She said, "I'm a chicken!"
My little chicken-ham...
No comments:
Post a Comment