Sunday, September 27, 2015

The Stuff of Childhood

The biggest event of our week was going to see Frozen on Ice, but before I get into that, I have several language funnies:

  • My dad reports that upon picking her up from school on Tuesday, Evie gave him a big hug and said, "Grannadaddy!  I so happy to saw you!"
  • Driving her to school on Wednesday, Evie asked me why Cinderella's sisters tore up her dress. (Many of our car conversations revolve around the plots of Disney movies.)  I told her it's because they were jealous and explained what jealous means.  Evie seemed to understand.  About 3 minutes later, Evie exclaimed, "Jealous means no somebody go to the ball."
  • Driving around to do errands, I turned on the "Pocahontas" sound track so we could listen to something different from our usual fare of "Frozen", "Lion King" and "Aladdin".  Evie's seen "Pocahontas" exactly 3 times, and there's been at least 6 months between viewings because it's not that popular with her.  I know she hasn't watched that movie in at least 4 months.  As we're listening to the soundtrack, we hear the instrumental music that plays during the scene where one of the characters goes overboard on the ship and John Smith dives in to rescue him.  I didn't mention this to Evie at all, didn't ask her anything about it, but she just pops up with this question: Why that man fall in the water?
  • Tonight, rocking her for bedtime, Evie looked at my arm and pointed to one of my larger freckles.  "What's that?"  "It's a freckle."  "Oh.....  What's it's last name?"
Wednesday night, Evie and Seth went to Granna and Grannadaddy's house to visit with Kristy and family who were in town.  Evie got to play with Zach, Aiden, and especially Lydia.  I'm told they had a blast.  I didn't get to go because I had class, but I got home before she went to bed and she told me she had a great time.

Thursday night, Evie and I joined my parents and Kristy and family for the Tigers football game.  Evie had gymnastics that afternoon and so I think she was still pumped from gymnastics class because she did the cheer they do:


So, Friday night, Seth's holding Evie to get her ready for bed.  We're standing in the hallway and decide it would be a good time to tell her we're going to Frozen on Ice tomorrow after nap time.
Seth: Guess what we're gonna do tomorrow?
Evie: Huh?
Seth: After nap time, we're gonna go see......
Me: Elsa and Anna!
Evie: .......................... where?
Seth:  They're gonna be on ice skates!
(Evie blinks, processing)
Me:  Does that sound fun?
Evie:  YES!!!!!!!  (HUGE smile across her face, gives Seth the biggest hug, leans way over to me almost leaping out of Seth's arms to give me a big hug)  I'm so happy!  I love you!

Oh my goodness, it was the most precious moment.  I wish I'd had it on video.

So, last night we went to Frozen on Ice at the FedEx Forum.  I was telling Seth that I think I was about Evie's age when my mom took me to see Sesame Street Live and I remember parts of that show and how much fun it was.  Maybe I was a little older.... I don't know - I'll have to verify with the photo albums.  Regardless, Evie, with her steel trap memory, will probably remember the whole thing.

It was a great show, better than I'd expected on many levels.  They started with some generic ice skating people who introduced Mickey and Minnie Mouse (I didn't realize any other characters would be making an appearance) and then Mickey and Minnie brought out all kinds of characters: Snow White and her prince, Cinderella and her prince, Rapunzel and Flynn Rider, Timon and Pumbaa, Buzz Lightyear and Woody - so many of Evie's favorites.  Then Goofy and Donald Duck joined and she was just over the moon, though she kept asking, "Where Elsa and Anna?"  Finally they started the Frozen story and she was enthralled.  From a technical theatre perspective the show was beautiful and Seth and I enjoyed discussing how all the special effects were executed.  And the best part was watching Evie's reaction.  I probably watched the show half the time and watched Evie's face the other half.  These are the moments I've always looked forward to.  Spending time as a family enjoying the stuff of childhood that makes it so incredibly magical.  Seth and I were on the verge of tears the whole first half watching the world through her eyes.

She asked for Elsa hair to wear to the show.

She picked out a new Elsa dress at the store earlier that day, and I thought the boots were pretty perfect.

The wonder and amazement in her eyes.

Pointing out Sven, the reindeer.

Look at the two of them, so enthralled.

Tonight, Evie and I spent another evening doing something I've always looked forward to doing with my kids: we made cookies.  It doesn't have to be a big event; the joys of parenthood are in something as small as teaching your child how to whisk ingredients together.  She stood so proudly on her stool and asked, "I can use this one?" whenever we had to add another ingredient using a tablespoon or teaspoon.  She did really well adding the dry ingredients to the wet in the mixing bowl.  She enjoyed it so much.


I am so grateful for the opportunity to be a mother, but I am especially proud and blessed to be the mother of Evie.  She is a better child than I could have imagined, my little sweetheart and helper, my pride and my joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment