Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Snow Days!

Well, my snow dance worked very, very well.  We were out Monday through Wednesday and Friday of last week.  We only went to school on Thursday so we all got to have lots of time together.  I really needed a break and to spend some time with my kiddo.  We had a great time.

Unfortunately it wasn't actually snow that we got.  It was ice.  So there were no fun ventures outside because one step on our deck would cause you to slip and fall.  Not a big deal for Evie, but Seth and I had no interest in landing on our tails repeatedly.

Instead, we opted for finding things to do inside like color, paint, read, play with toys and puzzles, and watch some movies.  We found a shortened version of "The Lion King" on YouTube so Evie saw that for the first time this week.  And she loved it.  Of course.  One of the funniest things to come out of that was when she and Seth went to play in her room.  Seth picked up Evie's airline pillow and put it on his head like a mane and pretended to be a lion and started chasing Evie around the house.  Then, of course, it was Evie's turn.  They had the best time, chasing each other, passing their "mane" back and forth.

She may be getting the concept of growing up.  When I tried to explain to her that Ana from "Frozen" grows up over the course of the song, she didn't get it.   She thought it was 3 different girls. But watching Simba "grow up" on screen over a 5 second interlude in a song seemed to make it click for her.  Yay for Disney introducing temporal concepts in a meaningful way to my toddler.

I told someone the other day that I need to stop referring to Evie as a toddler.  She's certainly past the actual toddling phase.  She's very secure on her feet.  And I think once you turn 3 you're considered a preschooler, and she's only a few months from that now.  She definitely acts more like a preschooler.

I can't remember if I mentioned that she'll be starting at a Montessori preschool program in August.  A few weeks ago we took her to meet her new teacher - actually it was for an informal assessment to see if the teacher felt that Evie would be a good candidate for the classroom, which goes up to age 5.  The teacher brought out several Montessori manipulatives including a wooden puzzle that had circles of ascending sizes that you take out and put back in.  She presented it to Evie and showed her how it worked and Evie's face got very serious, almost like she was thinking, Aha! A challenge!  She did very well with putting the circles back in in their correct spots, even when the teacher mixed them all up, and with the other things that her teacher presented to her.  At the end the new teacher said she thought Evie would make a great addition to the classroom, and this past week my clinical supervisor who does the speech therapy at the preschool said that the Montessori teacher mentioned to her how bright Evie was, especially for being only 2.  I was a proud mama.

Speaking of her being bright, the other day she was playing with a toy car and pointed inside toward the back seat and said, "That's Evie's seat."  Then at the front seat, driver's side and said, "That's Mama's seat."  Then at the passenger seat.  "That's Daddy's seat."  Nice example of generalizing concepts.

A few funnies from this week: Evie was dancing around while we were getting her dressed and I said to her, "You're goofy."  Without missing a beat she stopped and said, "No, I Donald Duck."  Seth said he used to say that too when he was a kid, but he'd never said it in front of Evie so it was novel to her.  Hereditary?

She had one night this week where she wasn't entirely cooperative and she told Daddy, "Go way.  Leave me alone.  Ever me!"  That showed him....

She's still super sweet to counterbalance that feistiness.  On Monday night, after we'd been home together all day for the first snow day of the week and had really partied - playing with lots of toys and chasing each other around the house - she actually fell asleep while I was reading her a bedtime story.  She hasn't done that in several months and it was so precious to sit there and rock with her and study those long eyelashes and round cheeks and smooth skin.  What an angel face.

My favorite thing she's started saying lately is "I so love you."  She'll give you this big, tight hug and say, "I so love you, Mama!"  Oh, it makes my heart melt.

No comments:

Post a Comment