Friday, August 29, 2014

ABCs

To be honest, this week I've thought more about myself than Evie.  This was my first week back to school, so I spent a lot of time coordinating our schedules so that Seth and I could take turns picking up and dropping off Evie, not to mention figuring out who got to shower first and who would pack the lunches.  I honestly don't know how parents of multiple kids do it!  The good news is we got Evie to daycare and back home every day.  That felt like a feat in itself.

I took Evie twice this week and I am really enjoying our longer ride to daycare.  In Mt Juliet we lived only 5 minutes away from her daycare so we got there and back really quickly.  Now it's about a 15-20 minute drive so Evie and I usually sing or talk about animals or count.  She loves to sing along with "Itsy Bitsy Spider", "The Wheels on the Bus", and songs from Disney movies including but not limited to "Bella Note", "Cruella DeVille", and "The Siamese Cat Song".  Monday on our drive home she spontaneously starting singing the "A-B-C Song" and did so well with it that I cried.  We don't sing that at home because she usually requests "Baa Baa Black Sheep" whenever I try to sing A-B-C instead (she knows they're the same tune, apparently), so I was completely surprised.  She's doing really well at daycare and I love seeing these little bursts of advancement.  She'll also count to 10 now, though it's usually 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 9, 10 (with gusto!)!  She did have 1-6 down pat but I guess the addition of 4 more numbers (7-10) kinda threw her off.

This week I got out a few new toys and books for her to use.  One was my old Fisher Price record player.  I know she'll probably never encounter another record player (other than the one that sits in the corner at Granna and Grannadaddy's that, as far as I know, is only used for its radio functions), but she loved putting the records on, putting the spindle down, and pushing the button over to make it play.  She has also enjoyed looking through my old Disney books that came with a record, although since the only record player we have is that Fisher Price one that works only with the old hard, thick, plastic records, she can't listen to the story being read aloud.  But she's enjoyed the variations on 101 Dalmatians (which is really about Lucky wanting to become a television star) and Pete's Dragon.

We also pulled out her puzzles which she hasn't seen since the move.  She enjoyed doing the fish one by putting the colors on the wrong fish so that I would shake my head and say "No, that doesn't go there - that's silly!"  Afterwards, though, she said, "Mama do" and then she would hand me a piece and tell me the color and point to the correct place on the puzzle for me to do it.


She also enjoyed going to the Stroud family reunion last Saturday.  While there was only one other little kid there (Evie's fourth cousin), she liked playing with him and the house in the nursery.


Anyone home?


My favorite thing from this week was her very long sentence.  She was eating strawberries and one dropped down her shirt.  She tried and tried to get it, but eventually said, "Mama get it, berry, Evie's shirt."  The syntax isn't quite there, but I love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment