Wednesday, November 15, 2023

Horseback Riding

After debating on adding yet another activity to Evie's busy schedule, and looking for the right place, we've finally decided to start horseback riding lessons.  She attended a horseback riding camp over the summer and loved it, and I've been reading about the benefits of horseback riding for mental health.  There's a philosophy that horseback riding is therapeutic for kids who are feeling like they don't have control over their lives (which is how Evie's been feeling since COVID), because well-trained horses are easy for them to work with, but there's a sense of "if I can control a 1,200 lb animal, I can control a lot of things and make people listen to me too).  So Evie started lessons this past Saturday.  She got to work with Gus, a super soft white horse (I'm sure there are names for horse colors and I'm also sure I don't know them).  He was such a sweetheart.  Her teacher did an amazing job of teaching her how to collect him from the field, pick his hooves, put on all the harness/bridle/saddle stuff, and lead him to the arena.  They started working on posting (I'm learning so much new vocabulary!), and Evie was all smiles the whole time.




I was so amazed at her bravery, going into the field to get the horse!


No comments:

Post a Comment