It's finally here, the transition from elementary school to middle school is complete! This weekend, Evie and I continued our tradition of getting our nails done together before the start of the school year. She chose to do black and red alternating on her hands, with flower art on her ring fingers. I think it's so interesting to see her personality coming out in her clothing and accessory choices these days. She's very into black, with black hoop earrings, and often choosing black for items like water bottles, phone cases, etc.
On the first day of school, she said she was nervous, and I told her that was to be expected. She's attending a really good public school, in the Honors (Optional) program, so I think she'll find this year a bit more challenging academically and a lot more tolerable socially. I know a lot of people think middle school is the worst, but middle school was amazing for me. I found "my people", whom I'm still friends with 29 years later, and since she's at the most desirable public middle school in the city, I expect her to be taught by some top-notch teachers.
We walked the half mile to the school together in the morning and I was surprised that she wanted to hold my hands and have me walk her up to the school as far as I could go. She wasn't afraid, exactly, just glad to have the reassurance, I think. When I met her to walk home, I asked her how it went and she said, "So good! I made 2 new friends!" She told me about her teachers and her classmates, and was all smiles, so we're off to a great start.
First day of school pic



No comments:
Post a Comment