This week, Evie got back to ballet for the new year. She is in Upper Level 3 with one other girl (Hazel), and that mean that she has a 50/50 chance of being cast as "Little Clara" in their upcoming production of The Nutcracker. She has class this year on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Saturdays for a total of 5.5 hours of ballet and she loves it. On Mondays, she has class with the Level 4s with the teacher of the higher level groups, Ms. Erin, who Evie says is going to make her a better ballerina because she's giving her new kinds of corrections that she hasn't heard from Ms. Alyssa. On Tuesdays, she has class with the Lower Level 3s with Ms. Alyssa. Saturdays, she has class with all of the Level 3s and also the Levels 4s with Ms. Alyssa, so she's getting a little variety this year and has some days where she's in the less experienced group, some where she's the most experienced, and some where she's in the middle.
A couple of things I forgot to share last week: Evie went for her check up and is 4'9". She's frustrated that she's one of the shortest in her classes, but on the overall chart, she's in the 50th percentile for height. I told her that I was the shortest of my friends until 8th grade, and then I grew and am now the tallest of my middle school friends, so maybe she'll do the same.
She was trying to tell me some jokes one morning when I was distracted by trying to get ready for work. She said, "Mama, are you even listening to me?" I said, "I'm sorry, sweetie, I wasn't paying attention, did you say something funny?" She said, "Yes! You know, a child needs her imagination to be laughed at sometimes."
This year she is taking Mythology and she was telling me all about the different gods and goddesses she's learned about and she ended it with, "And that's Greek gods in a walnut shell."
Last week, she had a sudden explosive burst of ear pain while we were at Granna and Grannadaddy's house, and it was so intense and persistent that I took her to the doctor for urgent care. Grannadaddy called me after we'd been gone for about 30-45 minutes, seeing if there was an update. I told him we were still in the waiting room, but I'd update as soon as we knew anything. Evie asked, "Who was that?" I said, "That was Grannadaddy, checking on you. You know he loves you so much, right?" She said, "Oh I know. Grannadaddy would do a back flip over the moon for me... But he might have trouble getting up from the landing."


No comments:
Post a Comment