Fifth grade is well under way now and we've run into a bit of a problem with one of Evie's teachers. It seems that the work that is being done in class is not reviewed, and neither is homework, so there's no opportunity for Evie to go back through her assignments and learn why her answers were incorrect. I'm really surprised that this is happening, because her teachers have all be very good so far at her elementary school. I've gone back and forth with this one via email, and if the situation doesn't improve I guess I'll be having a parent conference.
On top of that, this week has been socially challenging for Evie because she's learning that girls are mean. She told me that one of the girls in her ballet class seems rude to her. She doesn't return Evie's greetings, doesn't ever pick her to be in her group. I told her that maybe it's not intentional and maybe since she's in Upper Level 3 rather than Lower Level 3, she's just choosing the girls that she's been taking ballet with for years. But, I'm also encouraging her to be polite to everyone, but not think that she has to be friends with everyone. I think that goes against her nature, and it's hard to feel rejected.
And even worse, there's a girl at school who is pretty rude to her too. She'll ask Evie for help and if Evie doesn't know, she'll basically insinuate that Evie is dumb. Evie's said she thinks in her head, "Well you didn't know the answer either," but she doesn't say it aloud. That takes a lot of discipline - I have trouble not saying things like that. She's trying to be diplomatic and I'm very proud of how she's navigating these challenges.
Despite these social challenges and snubs, Evie remains a joyful soul most of the time. She spent Friday night with me, and I enjoyed her practice of her two audition songs for Jane in Mary Poppins and tried to encourage her without making her feel that she must get this role "or else." It's a tough thing to be rejected for parts, as it is to be rejected by other kids. Rather than worrying about it too much, she enjoyed a long bath playing with the ducks and using her amazing imagination. (I didn't listen in, Evie!)
ReplyDelete