This weekend was very eventful. Evie's friend Sasha came to spend the night with us for the first time. Evie's had slumber parties with her cousins before, and Nathaniel spent the night with us when his baby sister was born, but this is the first sleepover Evie has had with a friend in a long time. She went to Sasha's house for a party a few weeks ago, so we wanted to return the favor. The girls got along great, swam in the pool, jumped on the trampoline, put on a fashion show, played with the dogs. I learned that Sasha still sometimes wakes her parents up when she can't sleep, but I didn't learn that until the morning when she asked me why we don't let Evie wake us up. Apparently they were up some in the middle of the night...
Sasha, Evie, and Edison
Sasha's dad came to get her Saturday morning and then Evie went with her friend Jasper and his parents to a trampoline park to celebrate Jasper's birthday. Then we met them for dinner and headed to Patsy Cline, a play we were seeing with Granna and Grannadaddy. On the way there, my back completely gave out while I was driving, but we weren't in the best part of town, so I didn't pull over to let Seth drive. I spent the evening stubbornly insisting I was gonna be fine, and enjoyed the show. However, upon getting home I discovered that I could barely walk without severe pain. I slept on the couch and tried to make the best of it. I could get up off the couch only through pulling on the back of the couch, and even then once I was standing, I was bent over and couldn't straighten up without spinning myself more upright by leaning on progressively taller objects (pillows on the couch, the back of the couch, etc).
Again in the morning, though, I stubbornly insisted on going to church to make sure Evie was there for the prayer over the kids who were going to summer camp this upcoming week. This is Evie's first time away from home for that long (5 nights). I know she'll have a great time, but it makes me sad to have her gone. Although, honestly, not having to worry about while I'm so down in my back is probably a good thing.
After church, I stubbornly insisted on riding along with her to camp which is an hour away. This was a mistake of a physical nature, but I knew if I didn't see her settled in, that would be a stake of an emotional nature. The car ride was painful and also unpleasant for my fellow passengers as I was suddenly unable to stomach the pain medication I had take and so kept getting sick into a bowl (sorry, TMI). However, I really appreciated being there to make sure Evie was settled in and to meet her cabin counselor, to make sure her bed was made correctly (by Seth) and squeeze her before not seeing her for 5 days.
Evie in cabin A2
The kids can't call home unless it's an emergency so I don't get to hear from her directly this week, but the camp is posting pictures during the week and I was so glad to see a pic of her trying her hand at archery.
She is there with some other kids from our church, so I hope they are having a good bonding experience.
Today I went to the ortho clinic hoping they could give me an injection to create some immediate relief. Instead, I got steroids and painkillers that I could have gotten at an urgent care place, so I'm kind of frustrated that I waited to go to the specialty clinic. But, I do have an order for an MRI so we can see what's really going on. My plan for this week had been to clear off the kitchen table and finally put together Evie's scrapbook while she was gone to camp. Instead, I am laid up on my back on the couch, almost unable to move at all without severe pain shooting up my spine... Hoping those steroids will bring some relief soon.
No comments:
Post a Comment