What a fun week we have had! Monday night we decided to go to Huey's for dinner. Evie was excited that they gave her a frill pick in her burger so she could shoot it in the ceiling. Sadly, we learned that they are not allowing that anymore, even though some people had clearly done it recently as there were several already stuck. But we still had a good time.
Evie's class got enough pledges at her school's most recent fundraiser to earn Wacky Hair Day. Evie came up with this style idea all by herself.
Thursday, we got Evie's hair cut. Jo told her how glad she was to see her and how she was looking so grown up, to which Evie replied, "Well, I do have a signature face."
On Friday, Evie had her first ever massage. She has been complaining for a few months that her back and neck were hurting, and I brushed it off as her attempt at getting us to rub her back for her. However, when we were in DC, I felt her neck and it really was quite knotted up, so when we got back, I looked for a pediatric massage therapist. The lady I found was absolutely great with Evie, and she was shocked at how tight Evie's muscles were. She built a good rapport with Evie by talking about dogs, including calling her own dog a spazoid. I guess Evie's never heard that term before because she asked, "Oh, like a Samoyed?" (which is a breed of dog, in case you're not familiar). The massage therapist and I couldn't stop laughing at that one. After her hour long massage, Evie was quite relaxed. She said, "That was so good the world doesn't even seem real."
Saturday, we arranged a playdate at the park with Desmond. Evie and Desmond haven't seen each other since her birthday party last summer. They seemed to immediately pick right back up with their friendship. Desmond made cucumber sandwiches to share, and he also brought her a present: a sequin slap bracelet. What a sweetheart!
While they were playing, a former classmate of Desmond's happened to be at the park as well and Desmond's mom and I were a touch concerned that the situation might get awkward. This girl was physically more mature than Evie, but not as mature as her in behavior or social skills. Evie and Desmond made an effort to include her and they played together for a bit, but this girl struck me as the type who needs most of the attention within a group and wasn't afraid to make a fool of herself to get it. At one point, Evie and the other girl were swinging side by side and Desmond was behind them alternating pushing them both. The other girl let out some loud yells about who knows what and Evie doesn't enjoy yelling children at all, so she got off the swing and went to some different playground equipment. Desmond quickly followed and it seemed the choice was made. Desmond's mother was pleased that they had worked it out themselves; she said, "Good girl, Evie!"
Later when we were going home, I asked Evie what she thought about the other girl and she said, deadpan, "She's a lot." Then she told me that Desmond said to her, "You see what I have to put up with?"
We spent about two and a half hours at the park and had a really lovely time.
They started swinging and holding hands
They were instructed to hold hands for this one

.jpg)
I was asking Seth tonight, what do you think the odds are that they'll actually end up getting married. He guesses 10%. I know they're not likely to, they'll meet other people, who knows what they'll end up being like or being interested in as they grow up, but, I also kind of hold out a little hope that it will actually work out with them. First of all, it would be the sweetest thing to have all these memories from when they were 4 years old. But, more importantly, I was really impressed with Desmond's kindness, manners, thoughtfulness, conversation skills, and intelligence. He is a gentle soul, and his mom and dad have raised him so well. I would love Evie to be with someone who is thoughtful and kind, to never know the heartache of a bad relationship or a mean, untrustworthy guy. And his family is really lovely too, and that's important. They're both only children so they understand each other in that way. I know arranged marriages are frowned on but..... I'm kidding, of course. It'll be interesting to see how their story plays out.
This morning Evie, Seth, and I played a board game before church and Evie gave Eddie some love.
Then at church, we had the Palm Sunday processional, with the kids waving palm branches. It did my heart good to be back to this level of "normal" again.
Something happened a few weeks ago that I thought I had written down, but I can't seem to find it, so forgive me if I am repeating a story. Evie came to me in the kitchen while I was making breakfast one Saturday morning and she said,
"Mama... I'm a Gemini, right?"
I said, "Yes."
"And you're a Gemini, right?"
"Yes."
"And Gemini means twins, right?"
"Yes."
"Well, I was thinking... Maybe you and I are twins for each other, we're just thirty years apart."
And of course I cried at her sentimentality. She amazes me with her sweetness and her understanding of the bonds that hold people together. I am the luckiest mother in the world.
No comments:
Post a Comment