Sunday, February 13, 2022

Power Returns, Dealing with Disappointmentts

We're back home with power!  There was no school on Monday so we stayed at Granna and Grannadaddy's that day and played board games and watched the Winter Olympics.  Tuesday, school was in session so Seth took Evie while I worked.  About 2 pm I got an alert that our security system was back to running on power instead of battery!  I got Evie from school, took her to ballet and Seth got the dogs, and we came home to heat and lights and internet, and a really disgusting fridge and freezer.  We took a while to clean up the spoiled food and then went to Granna and Grannadaddy's house to gather all our things from over there and bring them home.  We are so grateful to them for letting us crash with them during the power outage.

During the hustle and bustle of Tuesday's activities, Evie needed a snack between school and ballet, but we had to go from school back to Granna and Grannadaddy's house where her ballet clothes were.  We have a tight turnaround on dance days because school gets out at 3:15 and ballet starts at 4:15, so I thought we could just stop at Wendy's for chicken nuggets, and Evie asked me for a Frosty as well.  Well, this Wendy's Frosty machine wasn't working.  Evie was pretty hungry because she'd had to eat school lunch since we didn't have her usual lunch fare to pack for her that morning, and I could tell she was a little hangry, so the news that no Frosty was available sent her into tears.  She wailed, "But I'm all set for something that I want and now I can't have it!"  I said, "Yeah, sorry, about that.  But that's gonna keep happening..."  So she ate some chicken nuggets and made herself some chocolate milk at Granna and Grannadaddy's house.

The rest of our week has been business as usual, other than no tap class on Thursday because her teacher didn't feel well.  I am grateful that they canceled class because of that.

I have to share a language funny that I just found in my notes from who knows when.  I was walking Evie up to school one morning, and we were talking about how she is now halfway through 4th grade and then only one more year of elementary school!  She said, "Yeah...  I'm excited about that but....  It's also a little soursweet."  Meaning to say bittersweet, of course.  I loved that.

No comments:

Post a Comment