Saturday, November 21, 2020

The Old Soul

Evie has been getting up early in the morning (about 6:30) to play Sims 4 on Seth's computer.  I was struck this week by how I see her turning into an older kid, and her penchant for Sims only reinforces that.


She also came over to join me at my new "office" (aka the dining room table) when I was finished working one day.  Virtual school for her lasts from 8 am to 3 pm, and I've often finished seeing my students by 2 pm, so she sometimes joins me at the table while she wraps up the day.  I'll be glad when school is back in person, but I'll kind of miss all of us being at home together.


Last night, we went to visit Kathy who is recovering nicely from a hip replacement surgery. Tia came in town to take care of her and since Evie had just been to tap class, tap and ballet were fresh on her brain.  Tia, of course, did dance from age 3 through her twenties when she was teaching it, so they had a great discussion about tap and ballet.  Evie showed her Angel choreography for The Nutcracker and then was excited to follow whatever commands Tia called out for her to demonstrate.  Then there was a comparison of tap moves, and I even got up when it was time for the time step.  We had a really good time.


Tonight we went to Mississippi for an outdoor playdate with Ivy and Corwin whom we haven't seen in almost a year!  They have two new dogs that both took a shine to Evie, and Evie really enjoyed getting to have fun with someone closer to her age instead of her fuddy duddy parents.


We've been talking about how quickly Thanksgiving and Christmas are approaching.  Evie is irritated when she sees Christmas decorations out because she has heard from me on the subject of how Christmas should wait until Thanksgiving's been had...  But she's not opposed to talking about Christmas.  This week she said, somewhat out of the blue, "I really like Christmas.  You get presents and it feels nice knowing there's another year to come."  My daughter, the old soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment