Well it has been a really distressing weekend, but our week was pretty good. Evie and I were off from work and school so we got some much needed time away from virtual learning and screens. Unfortunately, our week was made a little less nice in that both dogs came down with what we thought was kennel cough (and it may very well be) but has turned much more serious. More on that later but here are the pathetic pooches as of earlier this week.
Evie told me that morning I'm excited about today! I get to eat a bunch of good food, and we're closer to the end of the year which means we're closer to a vaccine. And that means I'm closer to getting to play with my friends in person. And I'm glad we have FaceTime so I can still play with my cousins and my friends.
It hadn't even occurred to me that she would be excited about Thanksgiving. I guess from my perspective, there wasn't as much to look forward to this year as there usually is. I usually go to church with my Dad, and then we go to our church for a potluck lunch, and then we go to my Mom's side of the family for dinner. This year, everything was pared down to a simple lunch on the deck. But of course, my little bright spot of joy, Evie was excited, and even sees beyond the implications of one special day and looks forward to the things that are good to come afterwards.
Now the story gets a little sad because Friday I could tell that Siouxsie wasn't doing very well. I called the vet and brought her in and her temperature was 105 (101 is normal for dogs) and she was struggling to breathe. We ended up being told that it was possible that Siouxsie won't make it... That was really hard to hear and still hard to deal with. She was being sent from our regular vet to an emergency vet for the weekend so I stopped by the house first for Evie to come give her a hug in case it was the last time she would get to hug her. That was really hard, to watch Evie start bawling as she walked away from the car.
I dropped Siouxsie off at the hospital and so far she is hanging in. As of this afternoon, her temperature was back to normal, but now tonight, it's fluctuating again and she's having lower O2 stats and higher respiratory rate... So I'm not sure we're going to make it.











No comments:
Post a Comment