Friday, my friend Annalisa, whom we've known since Seth and I lived in Cincinnati where she and I were both interns at Cincinnati Playhouse in the Park, came for her annual birthday trip to visit us. We've been looking forward to it so much and it was so good to hug her at the airport Friday. She and I got a bite and got her stuff settled at our house and then went to pick up Evie. Annalisa was so excited to see Evie, and Evie was equally excited. We went home and waited for Seth to get off work and then went to dinner at Huey's.
Evie is reading to Annalisa
When we got home and entered through the carport, I noticed the window from the dining room into the backyard was open, and then it dawned on me that the back door was unlocked and the wooden door not closed. I asked Annalisa if she had left the window open and when she said no, I realized we'd been broken into. I turned the corner and saw that our TV was gone, and before I could stop her, Evie was off running back to her room. I'll never forget the panic I felt about that as I called out to her to come back and she didn't answer. Fortunately, she came back. Seth and Annalisa checked the back part of the house to be sure no one was still there, and Evie began crying when she realized the TV was gone. I called the police. Within 10 minutes, they were there and we were going through the process of discovering what all was taken which ended up being only the TV, 3 laptops (mine, Seth's, and my work laptop), my backpack (presumably to carry the laptops in) and my jewelry. They had started to go through prescriptions but stopped for some reason, and also left cash and credit cards.
I was so glad to have Annalisa there because she immediately started talking Evie through what happened, reminding her that she was safe, that it's only things, that no one was hurt, including the dogs. Annalisa is always calm in a crisis and she conveyed this demeanor to Evie who calmed down and went into problem solving mode, trying to figure out how they got in, the order in which they took things, and how we can keep it from happening again.
After the police left, it was quite an ordeal trying to get all of us calmed down enough to go to bed. Evie was already going to be sleeping on a pallet in our room because Annalisa was going to use her bed, so I didn't have to worry about her trying to fall asleep alone or being scared in the middle of the night. She did have a hard time getting to sleep and staying asleep, and at one point I told her to just get in bed with us (which we NEVER do).
The next morning, we took Evie to theatre and went out for breakfast while she had class. Then Annalisa, Evie and I treated ourselves to manicures before we took Evie to my parents' house for the evening while the adults went out.
Picking nail colors
Nails are done!
Sunday, we went to church and then lunch with my parents, and pretty much just hung out Sunday night, with a visit to our preferred bakery for a birthday cupcake (Evie was very excited about this). Annalisa started getting a cold, which continued through Monday, her birthday, which was a real bummer. We went to meet Evie for lunch and took the rest of the day pretty easy. Annalisa had to go back yesterday morning.
Despite all the things that went wrong while she was here, we still managed to have a good time and she said she still had a good birthday, because any time we're together is better than time we're apart.



No comments:
Post a Comment