Wednesday, December 12, 2018

Six and a Half

Can it be that my baby is now six and a half?!  I guess it is, since time keeps marching on.  We went to my parents' house to celebrate with dinner and cupcakes from Frost, as has become our custom.



Evie said, "I can't wait to go to Granna and Granndaddy's house for my six-and-a-half birthday!  I said, "Why?"  She said, "Because Granna always gets me a present!"  My mom did, indeed, have a present ready for her: a book called The Nutcracker Mice which ties in perfectly with her upcoming performance as a Mouse in The Nutcracker.

Friday we went to the temple to watch Evie's best friend Sasha be consecrated.  It was a beautiful service, not unlike the baptism we had for Evie last year.  I saw a lot of parallels between those two events.  I got choked up when the rabbis explained that the fabric they would hold over the children as they received their blessings was made from strips that each of their parents had written on to convey their individual blessings.  It was really beautiful.

Saturday was Breakfast with Santa at our church.  I went early to set up and start cooking breakfast with the rest of the crew.  Seth brought Evie and she had a great time playing games and dressing up and making crafts.

Nathaniel is a sheep and Evie is trying to herd him, I think.

This is the first year that Evie wrote a list for Santa.

My little angel

On Sunday, I taught Sunday School and even though we usually only have two children, we had a very meaningful lesson.  It was about John the Baptist preparing the way for the Lord and how God had given him his name and his father wasn't able to speak because he had doubted.  I wrote the kids' names on a piece of paper in white crayon and then they painted over the page to reveal their names and we talked about how God gave John a very important name and an important job, and how He likewise gives us jobs to do and we have to listen and believe so we can do what He is asking us to do, not doubt like Zechariah.  I love teaching them these lessons.


After church we had to rush out to the theater for Evie to rehearse for her part of The Nutcracker and then when we got home, we put up some Christmas decorations.  Evie was ready to decorate her little white tree in her room.


Then we had the last night of Hanukkah and also lit the Advent wreath. Evie is no longer afraid of getting wax dripped on her so she's a happier participant now.


Tuesday, of course, we went to Granna and Grannadaddy's per our usual custom, where I made dinner and Evie got Granna to sit in the floor with her and play the cupcake game (not that she had to do anything more than ask - Granna is always a willing participant!).


Tonight, Evie and I met my friend Shelley to go to Las Posadas at a local Episcopalian church.  I had never been to a Las Posadas event and it was very cute.  The kids dressed up in whatever costumes they wanted (Evie was an angel.  There were kids designated as Mary and Joseph and the whole group processed in from the back of the church and lined up in front of the steps, and they joined the congregation in singing some hymns.  Then they went to one of the doors leading into the sanctuary and Mary and Joseph exchanged a few lines with a grown-up playing the part of an inn keeper who told them that there was no room.  Then we sang another hymn while they made their way to another door, and once again.  At the last door, the whole congregation went to the fellowship hall where the stable and manger were and we finished the service there with the birth of Jesus and arrival of shepherds and wise men.  Then we sat down for a delicious Mexican feast and the kids made crafts and broke up a few pinatas.  Evie loved it.



No comments:

Post a Comment