Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Winding Down Kindergarten and Mother's Day

The school year is coming to an end quickly and it seems to only go faster as we get nearer to the end.  Evie has finished her last week of "serious kindergarten work" as depicted by this contract.


I'm sure I've explained at some point that the Montessori approach allows students to complete activities related to their own interests to some degree, but they also have certain things that they have to do, which is written on a weekly contract.  Evie has had trouble completing her contracts (which is not a big deal to anyone but her), and she was very proud of herself for finishing this week's (which, to be fair, only had 9 things and not the usual 20).  She has no more contacts to do, which she's very excited about.

Friday, the parents were invited to Montessori in May Day where the "short friends" taught the "tall friends" all kinds of Montessori activities.  Evie was thrilled that I was able to attend and she told me all week how much she was looking forward to teaching me a game called "Go Vertebrate" which is played nearly exactly like "Go Fish", except that there are 5 exemplars of each animal class: Mammal, Fish, Bird, Amphibian, and Reptile.  You make a match when you get 3 or more of an animal class.  I had a hard time with amphibian vs. reptile, I'll admit


We read several books to each other and did a few of Evie's other favorite activities, including snack time.





Even though there are a couple of weeks left, it's hard to start saying goodbye to Ms. Jan who's given Evie such a great educational foundation.

Saturday night, we went to the Redbirds baseball game with a group from the church.  Evie was full of questions and Daddy and Grannadaddy were happy to help out with explanations (which is good because I know nothing about that sport...)


Sunday, of course, was Mother's Day.  This year, I did not attend a funeral (2013), I did not spend it packing up our house to get ready to go on the market (2014), I did not spend it being sick (2015) did not spend it in California (2016), I did not spend it on the couch after throwing my back out (2017), so I'd say it was one of my more successful Mother's Days.  Evie made me a card and we went to church together, then to lunch, then to dinner, so basically it was a day of eating.  Evie and I had cherry dresses on because I can't resist sometimes.

Granna, Evie, and Me


Evie and Grandma Jeanne

Plus Grannadaddy

Amusing anecdote: Evie has a couple of magazine subscriptions and her latest one was all about dolphins.  She was looking at a picture of a dolphin from a side angle where its tail looked narrow and flat, and she said, "Hmmm, dolphins have rat tails."  I said, "No, they don't, baby, you just need to find a picture where you look at it from the top."  Miss Literal turned the magazine where she was looking at it from the top edge and said, "I don't see it..."

And a sweet story: we were passing LeBonheur, the hospital where Evie had her hernia surgery and as she read the side of the building, she said, "Wouldn't it be nice if Aunt Aimee worked there?"

No comments:

Post a Comment