Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Mice Are Nice

Evie is taking ballet/tap with a local company and they are putting on a production of The Nutcracker in December, so this weekend, Evie got to go in for her first ever costume fitting.  Her other performances so far have been showcases of work she's done in theatre classes, so The Nutcracker will be her first on-stage, full-production debut.  She and the other girls in her class will be mice.  They are pretty cute in their little mouse costumes; here's a sneak peek.




Other than that, we've had a pretty typical week.  Evie had us in stitches this week with a few funny things she's said:

  • We were talking about kings and queens with Granna, and Evie asked why when a king dies the prince becomes the king.  We explained that you need to have someone in charge.  Seth said, it's like if the president dies, the vice president becomes the president because you need someone in charge.  Evie, who is not a fan of Donald Trump, said, "I could go without somebody in charge."
  • My mom asked my dad to come get a dead spider off of the stairs.  Dad asked how long it had been there, and Mom said it was a long time.  Evie said, "Yeah, that spider's been there since I was 4."
  • Evie asked me to refill her milk, but I was busy and Seth wasn't occupied so I told her, "Daddy can help you."  Evie said, "Thank you, Daddy, for volunteering." 
What's so funny is her earnestness in all of these comments.  I like that she hasn't entered a sarcastic phase yet.

I also like her creativity.  At my parents' house, there's a toy with 4 balls that are painted to look like different animals.  Evie thought up a game one night that she would hide them and we (me, Seth, and my parents) would have to go look for them, and whoever found one last would have to hide them next round.  I thought that was pretty clever that she figured out a rule that would ensure rotation of the person doing the hiding since there were 5 people and only 4 balls.  She amazes me.

No comments:

Post a Comment